robo22sri

changing engine, what do i need?

Right guys need some advice!

I have a new engine coming in a week or so and was wondering what list of bits i need for when i do the swap!

So give me a idea of what i am going to need :)

Thanks guys :scratch:

sorry its a vr6

Current engine! leaking crank seal, chains making noises and possible rings gone because smoke on full throttle!

I bought a rebuilt golf 2.8 t go in

just the basics, a good socket set is all thats required and a couple of strong blokes to get it out lol,

I have the socket sets and windy gun :)

I was thinking coolant, gaskets?

I am going to take the odb2 inlet off the golf and put my odb1 setup on it, then i am going to sell the whole odb2 setup complete!

You'll need consumables - oil, oil filter, G12+ coolant. Service items if you choose to do them (air filter, fuel filter etc). Might be worth changing the crack pipe and small water pipes while you're at it. Thermostat perhaps. Anything you think might need replacing. Might be worth changing the auxillary belt while you've got it apart too.

Exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets.

You shouldn't need power steering fluid as you can just unbolt the pump without disturbing the system.

Inner CV joints should just unbolt from the output drive flanges using the correct tool so nothing needed there.

Other than that just time, patience, a reasonable amount of mechanical ability and the proper tools to do the job.

Its remarkably simple under a VR6 bonnet, just take your time and it'll be fine.

No problem...just thought, while you've got the gearbox off you may as well do the clutch and its release bearing too. 20 minute job with the 'box off!

No problem...just thought, while you've got the gearbox off you may as well do the clutch and its release bearing too. 20 minute job with the 'box off!

engine is coming with a over hauled gear box still attached :)

In my experience, dealer are always best for gaskets. Pattern parts never quite seal as well. If unavailable, tps, vws, etc etc........

I bought a rebuilt golf 2.8 t go in

realy glad to hear no corrados will be getting broken for spares or harmed with the purchase of that motor! ;)

hope it goes well for you, as mentioned think it would be a good idea to do the clutch + crack pipe and thermostat +houseing, also water pump,

also what about given it a lick of engine paint?

any mention of its obd1 or 2? if its obd 2 wont you need all the wiring loom, ecu etc? and if its obd 1 wont you need the cam trigger plate if yours is a coilack? or am i talknig rubbish? was tmpted to puchase a low mileage golf obd2 2.8 for mine but wasnt sure on a ll the needed parts?

Earlier in the thread I said it's odb2 ;)

I am going to be removing and selling all the odb2 stuff as a conversion kit ;)

So anyone interested in a odb2 full setup give me a shout! Also will have a 2.9 abv up for grabs

The engine is OBD2...read below...

I have the socket sets and windy gun :)

I was thinking coolant, gaskets?

I am going to take the odb2 inlet off the golf and put my odb1 setup on it, then i am going to sell the whole odb2 setup complete!

ah my mistake, so just to clarify as im serously tempted to get a low mileage lump to supercharg. if you buy an obd2 golf 2.8, put the 2.9 mani on it you can then just drop it in, wire it up to the obd1 loom and ecu and away you go? will the obd1 ecu auto adjust to the engine only being a 2.8 and not a 2.9?

or if i wanted to keep it obd2 id need to change the engine loom, ecu and loom to fusebox?

ah my mistake, so just to clarify as im serously tempted to get a low mileage lump to supercharg. if you buy an obd2 golf 2.8, put the 2.9 mani on it you can then just drop it in, wire it up to the obd1 loom and ecu and away you go? will the obd1 ecu auto adjust to the engine only being a 2.8 and not a 2.9?

or if i wanted to keep it obd2 id need to change the engine loom, ecu and loom to fusebox?

There's only a tiny decrease in overall capacity of the engine so yes, the ECU will compensate for the very minor differences and maintain a steady AFR, timing settings etc. No problem running an AAA on ABV management.

OBD2 conversion is fairly involved, the most complicated bit is removing the necessary wiring from the Golf loom as you only need the engine bit of it, not the headlights - Daves16V has recently done it and his build thread is pretty good for information. The actual fitting of the parts is a piece of cake, apart from feeding the loom through the bulkhead.

Does the new engine come with ancillaries? Maybe worth changeing water pump, thermostat etc if not

Yes it will becoming with all ancillaries, and samco blues hoses and a nuespeed induction kit!

Let us know how you get on, my engines on 150k so think I might look for a low mileage obd2, ditch the manifold and put my 2.9 mani on and it should just then be plug and play Linking up in my engine bay :) Think I read somewhere the 2.8s have different cams to the 2.9? have you changed the crack pipe?

Good to hear you sourced an engine Rob. I'm also sorry that you felt the old girl needed one. But its better than breaking her up, that would have been a crime.

Hope the project gets back on track now, and you can have her all sorted for the summer.