Westginge

VR6 Wheel fitment

HI, I am after some advice please, i have a 94 VR6 and the 15inch speedlines are in terrible condition, so i need a new set. Are they easy to find 2nd hand or will any golf 5x100 wheels fit?

What do i need to check before i get any VW wheels? and can they all fit if 5 stud? The car is at normal ride height so what is the best size wheel for track days? 16/17?

Thanks

Mark

Speedlines are readily available, as are Solitudes. Any 5-stud Mk3/4 Golf wheels will fit. Stick with 15s ;)

Do you have the standard VR6 (280mm) front brakes? If so then pretty much all 15" and above 5x100 VW wheels will fit, width and offset depending obviously. If you have uprated 288mm front brakes then your choice of 15" wheels is slightly reduced, not by much, but anything bigger will still fit. 15" Speedlines and Solitudes (Storm wheels and also fitted to the Golf VR6) will fit over 288mm brakes.

Speedlines seem to be still reasonably priced for a set but I imagine they'll get rarer and pricier as time goes by tbh. Solitudes are still very cheap (sub £100 for a set) because seemingly every Mk3 Golf VR6 and its dog had them fitted (not quite, but near enough!).

I personally favour 16" wheels on a Corrado - for me they're an ideal compromise between:

- Decent looks

- Decent ride quality (as you don't need an uber-low profile tyre to get them on the car)

- Fairly low unsprung weight (depending on the design of wheel)

- Cost (of both the wheel and tyre)

- Reasonably big brake clearance (including 312mm discs)

It really depends on what you want the wheel to do. For trackdays I think 16's or 17's would perhaps be more suitable as the availability of decent track-orientated tyres is slightly better, but it depends how serious you go with it. 15's for originality though!

HTH

Tom

Hi, many thanks to all for helping - what a forum, - everyone seems very helpful and knowledgeable i will start looking now! and let you know.