lewis1982

VR6 Suitcase delete

Hi, has anyone done this to there VR6? I got it done a few months back and I am pleased with the sound on soft throttle.

However on mid throttle about 2000rpm there is a really loud drone.

I have read on various forums that it is caused by who ever took the box out has been lazy and left it as two 90 degree bends, rather than two 45 degree bends. I went back to the place I got It down today and there told me that if they change it to 45 degree bends there will be more drone... I would of thought it would flow better!

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers, Lewis

It's droning because you deleted the biggest silencer in the system. That silencer is both large and baffled, which does the Lion's share of the noise reduction.

Ideally if you don't want the suitcase you need the other boxes to be able to do it's job as well as there own

i want to do this on my golf vr daily as i just want that PURRRRR PURRRRR when cruzen! so is it bad with out that silencer???

Fit a CDA instead, the noise at 3500rpm is awesome :D

When cruzen it sounds awesome but anymore than that's it's a real drone. I still think its because the gases are hitting the two 90 degree bends, and all the different forums say, make sure the piece they weld in is at 45 degrees to keep it free flowing or you will get a bad drone

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

This is the information I found-

Some VR6 Suitcase Removal Tips:

It costs "1 hour of labor" at your local muffler shop. If you're in a "small town/city" then it'll cost you $30, if you're in a "major metropolis" it'll cost you $75.

The suitcase is replaced with regular piping, they've got it laying around.

Sounds like Neuspeed catback, I've been told. Mine doesn't drone uncomfortably, but yours might. Make sure the muffler is re-fitted to where it was in the first place, or you'll get rattles.

Tell them "I want you to remove the resonator right before the muffler and replace it with regular piping, the resonator looks like a big suitcase" then when it's jacked up, go over and point it out to him. Expect the guy to make cracks about how it won't help your performance and will only make the car louder.

Also tell him you want the replacement piping to be as straight as possible. The two endpieces are offset from each other, like this ___------ so to be lazy about it, the employee may want to just put in piping with 2 90 degree angles, like this ______|------ but you want to convince him to make it straighter than that, and put less of a severe angle in the bends, more like this _____/-----. That should cut down on the droning.

There is no performance benefit to removing the suitcase. But adding a $500 catback barely adds anything to an otherwise stock-ish motor anyway, so why not save the money and just get the sound. Won't sound as good as some catbacks, but it'll sound comparable to others. Which is why I mentioned to expect the muffler guy to make some cracks about the job.

I hate agreeing with kev but you've removed a silencer for no real reason and now you're complaining it's too noisy??