Wompa

Passat Climatronic

Hello.

Im in for this... but im searching for the right info.

Does the 35I Passat use vacuum to operate the flaps or is it electric?...

Wich setup is the best to go for? The 35I seems like the one that would fit best but what do I know.

The 35I setups I'm aware of use vacuum flaps, but they may have changed through the production run - I don't know.

Tony (tonedef) is the guy to speak to about the Passat 35I setup as he has this in his car, I and a few others can help out if you go for the MK4 Golf-type (electric) setup.

The Passat ducting is the best fit on RHD cars but not sure if there would be any differences on LHD models. The issue with the MK4 ducting on a Corrado is that the securing holes are in the wrong place so you would have to either drill new holes or find some other way of securing it, and also on a RHD the ABS pump gets in the way of the piping from the expansion valve. The pros of the MK4 system is that the panel is a nicer fit in the dash and you can match the OEM backlighting if you get the panel out of an Octavia.

The main problem with the Passat system is that in the UK at least it is hard to get hold of now as there aren't many Passat 35is on the road (and few of them had Climatronic), but it may be more common on the continent.

My car is LHD :)

Thanks for the info!

I have the old interior... have seen pictures and the one that fits the best I think is this one:

http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/55/8857/15426134/climatronic-26617.JPG

Does it even work?.. or does I need the earlier setup to make it work.

That is the MK4-era setup that is on the MK4 Golf and B5 Passat. All of the A4 platform cars use the same heaterbox and ducting, but I think the B5 stuff may be different (it could fit better OR worse - I don't know). The Golf and B5 Passat share the same control panel, and it is interchangeable with the one on the Octavia and Leon.

It does work but it is a fair amount of work. The physical install is the hardest bit I found - the wiring wasn't too bad to be honest but I haven't done the A/C as my car did not have it to begin with.

My progress is in here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?53635-Ant-s-VR6-The-search-for-rust-continues&p=733298&viewfull=1#post733298

The main thing is the heaterbox.. fitment and if it can be attached to my original ac lines and the hole in the bulk head.

Does the ducting fit from a mk4?

This is a Corrado heaterbox for the ac. Look at the fitting for the ac pipes.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/ChuckVR6/EvapCoreExpValve.jpg

The thing about the controller... i got the earli dash.. Will it fit! :p

Edited by Wompa

The 'fitting' for the AC pipes in the pic is the expansion valve - you get the same (or similar) expansion valve on the MK4 ducting - I am pretty sure that your existing pipes will fit.

The ducting on the MK4 does fit BUT you will either need to drill new holes in the bulkhead for the securing studs, or find some other way of holding it in place. Also, the windscreen vent does not fit perfectly onto the MK4 ducting, so you will need to make a seal for that. Also, I don't know if the hole for the AC pipes will line up or not. Again this is all for RHD, LHD may be different.

I don't know whether the controller fits the early dash easily, but I have seen pics of the controller in an early dash on VW Vortex, so it can be made to fit. It lines up perfectly in the later dash.

If you're fitting climatronic into an LHD car with existing factory fitted a/c then it would be worth dropping a line to krnau in Barcelona as he did exactly the same install.

Have talked to him.

But the loom on the mk4. Is it alot of splice and cut? Does the duct from a 96 passat fit? The loom is easier on that one...

Have talked to him.

But the loom on the mk4. Is it alot of splice and cut? Does the duct from a 96 passat fit? The loom is easier on that one...

The main exchanger box from a 96 Passat fitted straight into my car and connected to the various Corrado ducts. I did have to cut and drill more holes in the bulkhead to fit the heat exchanger in but it was straightforward. I also had to fit an automatic flap into the dash centre ducting that the Corrado doesn't have.

I've done the wiring two times now, first time was with the original wiring loom and more recently with the OBD2 install.

Great! Thanks mates!

Will do a DIY as thanks :)

The automatic duct.. was that just taken from the donor Passat?