Crispy Squirrel

-> Engine HELP NEEDED <- EEk Double no start in one day.

Ok so twice today the ****ing Rado hasn't started. Once only took a few minutes a retry then she was good.

Second try was just about to bump-start her when she came around.

So ... The red plastic thing on the right side of the engine (Looking from front of car) that connects to the engine I think is the starter motor was running for a long time after i disconnected the keys, sounded like it was spinning inside the casing started to smell like plastic burning then it ground to a holt.

The battery is ok as all the electrics start ok - oil is good, but not loads in there,

Maybe alternator , starter motor ??

Maybe need more anti-freeze ?

Advice / help to a very scared skint corrado owner !

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

The distributor cap seems to be connected to the problem is that connected - to the startup motor? or the alternator ?

The red with cables coming out is you distributer cap. What makes you think starter motor? Can you hear it running on after releasing the key? Does it sound high pitched and not actually cranking the engine?

Sounds like starter solenoid not springing back after run up, but if it's turning the engine over it could be something else. Starter motor is the cylindrical thing that sits just in front of the gearbox. When you turn the key, the solenoid shoots out (a small gear) and engages the flywheel to crank the engine over. If it carries on running, it could be a sticking spring that pulls the solenoid back in. This often leads to imminent break down of the starter motor. If when turning now, you just get a high pitched whine, like the motor is spinning but not engaging the engine, then obviously could be the spring not shooting out to the flywheel, or the gear is stripped of teeth (99% of the time the starter motor gear, not flywheel gearing). So to confirm, your engine is turning over though yes?

Sorry my initial explanation was in a bit of a panic. She's been sitting idle on my drive ever since :/ ... So there were two occasions when she didn't start continuously after trying.

- Time one - Was exactly what you explained - something runs after key is pulled out keeps spinning slows to a hault eventually (The high pitched whine)

- Time Two - the car simply didn't start - gave a good shudder as i turned the ignition but no revs, So No my engine was not turning over - it did the second time after lots of tries enough for me to take a short 5 min drive home.

I'm too scared / don't want to burn my car to start it up again yet.

Ok, yeah does sound like starter motor. Give it another go, it won't do any damage to anything else, if it's already goosed, there is nothing else it could affect. Have a look on eBay, new starter motor is around £50 I think. You can get em for a bit more from one of gsf/ECP etc, they they all have 2 year guarantees so exactly the same IMO apart from being twice as much. Pretty simple to change too, sure there's a guide on here somewhere. Hope you get it all sorted mate. :o