Imgolfman

G60 spluttering after a bath! Please help :-(

Hi all. Ok, I was driving work at 5:30am on Wednesday morning, it was raining and I was cruising around 35/40 mph. All of a sudden it starting missing and spluttering. Stopped the car and it reved up but sounded like a bag of ****e. Took it to my mates and checked everything fuel side of things. Nothing! Kept being a knob for a couple of days then yesterday my mate started it up to try and get it to do it and nothing, ran fine. Did around 50 mile in it yesterday and this morning (dry days) and it ran perfect. Until I washed it not long ago. Started it up and it was spluttering, missing and back firing again. Checked the spark plugs, dry as a bone and carboned up. It seems when I wash it or it gets wet water is getting in somewhere and making it do this? Please help because I'm out of ideas. Cheers Wayne

do you have adrilled airbox and aftermarket filter.... i have the same problem as i have also removed the carbon canister so whilst driving there is a lot of moisture around the intake area.

or check the grub screw on the back of the throttlebody these o rings perich for a past time leaking boost and will let moisture in

Most likely cause is water getting into the HT and ignition systems. Get yourself a good quality dewatering spray, WD40 is ok but Wurth 2040 is better, and spray the internal connections of every plug / joint in these systems. You will need to separate each plug to spray inside, as it is pointless just spraying randomly over everything as is. This will have the effect of giving your ignition system some degree of resistance to water ingress causing shorts to earth. There are other causes but this will be a good start point, and inexpensive to complete.

Regards, John. JMR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you have adrilled airbox and aftermarket filter.... i have the same problem as i have also removed the carbon canister so whilst driving there is a lot of moisture around the intake area.

or check the grub screw on the back of the throttlebody these o rings perich for a past time leaking boost and will let moisture in

I have done away with the carbon canister but I have standard air box etc??

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Most likely cause is water getting into the HT and ignition systems. Get yourself a good quality dewatering spray, WD40 is ok but Wurth 2040 is better, and spray the internal connections of every plug / joint in these systems. You will need to separate each plug to spray inside, as it is pointless just spraying randomly over everything as is. This will have the effect of giving your ignition system some degree of resistance to water ingress causing shorts to earth. There are other causes but this will be a good start point, and inexpensive to complete.

Regards, John. JMR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill give it a go cheers John. Anything is worth a go :-)

I'm going have ago later at what John says but does anyone have any key areas I should be looking for. I think basically water is getting into a switch or area in the engine bay which is then starving it of fuel which is making it splutter etc. any help please :-)

Just in case any1 else has the same problem, I "think" water was getting in the lambda sensor plug. Can't be 100% but sealed it up and touch wood it ain't bin a mong since :-)