fla

black paint for alloys

I want to paint the sides of the spokes of my tt comps black, similar to the look often seen on Estorils. Previously i used some silver alloy paint from the local factors which was (is) extremely durable. They dont have gloss black so i'm wondering what would be advised.

I had some good results with some VHT Crackle Black on some 17's:

Very durable and hard wearing.

th_adf14215.jpg

th_f02de1d8.jpg

Other than that you really can't beat hammerite smooth.

I'd totally disagree with anything hammerite these days. Years ago it used to be excellent stuff, but the modern stuff has been reworked and is watery rubbish which does nothing to stave off corrosion and takes at least 2 if not 3 coats to get decent coverage without monsterous drippage.

Personally I'd steer clear of the stuff.

When I painted my estoril scallops I used Halfords 'Volkswagen (volcano?) black' gloss with a clear laquer top. Very successful it was too.

Edited by yalan

I had some good results with some VHT Crackle Black on some 17's:

Very durable and hard wearing.

th_adf14215.jpg

th_f02de1d8.jpg

Did you find that this stuff really stinks? I used in on a few parts before and the smell once cured put me off ever using it again lol.

ok thats useful to know. In terms of prep, should i strip the paint off again back to bare metal, prime and then spray or just rough up the existing surface and spray paint directly onto that?

I would get them blasted, otherwise you risk the paint not sticking to the old lacquer. If it's a strong/gloopy paint that forms a thick 'skin' then the strength of the skin would hold the edges together even if it wasn't stuck down to the surface very well - but then the first time it gets knocked or a stone chip hits it then you lose a 'bubble' all at once.

I vote for powder-coating everything, it's probably cheaper than you expect and it will last much longer :)

The paint I used, didn't smell too bad to be fair.

I've left a fair amount of over spray marks on the floor where I painted them and didn't quite cover the concrete enough but other than that, all was well.

The finish is extremely durable and only flaked where I've since curbed the wheels. Been perfect for this winter and with stood a number of lazy wheel wash sessions i.e. pressure wash and go.