OllieVR6

Locating a leak, need some help identifying the location please

I've got a leak from the cooling system that appears completely random. From what I can tell there is no pattern as to when it will leak and when it wont.

I have had the car parked in the garage recently and next to the tiny oil patch that appears on floor (that I know about) is a small coolant patch. The oil patch is coming from the filter housing, so I'm hoping I might be able to use this info to locate the coolant leak.

If you imagine looking at the patches as if you were standing in front of the car, the oil is on the left and the coolant on the right. They are in line with each other and about 2cm apart. Crack pipe maybe? I have checked the thermostat housing and it doesn't line up.

Having written this I'm thinking I might need to take some pictures?

I guess the issue is that a leak can start anywhere and travel to various locations on other engine parts.

give it a through clean up and then sprinlle some talcum around areas you suspect. You'll soon see a line from the source. Dont neglect the obvious like i did - found my oil dipstick was lacking the o-rings at the base, after i had changed the sump gasket oil filter housing gasket and sandwich plate gasket...

mines leaking from the flange on the side of the block..its cracked some how so i got a new one...

as above, you need to clean it up and then source were its leaking....its prob just dripping off the lowest part of the engine

i also have this problem, im goin to have a look around the engine bay probaly monday night. watching this thread :scratch: