Snozdog

1993 Corrado 2.0 16v, what engine?

Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me what engine i have in this car? I know nothing about VWs at the moment because i normally do Citroen and BMW but have decided to expand to VW. So what engine is this? I've heard but would like confirmed that it is the same as the Golf Mk3 1.8. If it isn't what Golf engine is it the same as? Since its easier to search for Golf parts than Corrado.

Thanks in advance,

Ash

Hey hey,

You have a 9A engine.

The MK3 Golf uses a 2.0 16v engine but is a ABF engine.

The MK2 GTi uses a 1.8 16v - KR Code.

The Corrado 9A engine is basically a uprated, newer version of the Golfs KR engine in that it has a bigger displacement and uprated fuelling system (Electric rather than the golfs mechanical fuelling). Your fuelling system is KE-Jet where the Golfs is K-Jet. The blocks and cylinder heads are basically the same casings, just different internals.

The MK3 Golf 2.0 16v ABF engine uses Digifant fuelling so is a much more advanced electric system and is completely different to that of the Corrado's 2.0 16v. It's also a taller block and 150bhp (yours is 139bhp).

So, in answer to your question, I'm sure you can swap some parts with the Golf MK2's 16v engine. But mainly you are sticking to the 9A engined cars such as Corrado's and Passats. Audi's from the same era had a 6A engine fitted which is the same as the 9a just longitudinal instead of the Corrado's transverse mounting.

Oh, and not all Corrado's and Passats 16V's had the 9A engine in. The earlier ones came with the 1.8 16v (KR), I think anything made post 1992 should have the 2.0 16v 9A engine.

Hope that helps and didn't boggle you! :o

Edited by P3rks
  • Like 1