Sign in to follow this  
PeterMunns

Cable Change Gear Box........??????

I ve got a G reg 16v it has a cable change gear box. Selecting gear is a pain and the cables squeak i was told they need replacing as they are stretched.............?? the vw garage wants to charge about £100.00 for just the cables any idea where i can pick these up on the cheap....?? Or can i just have them adjusted.....??

Cheers

Come on some one must of had the same problem............... :roll: :x

Need to know soon as i am putting my car in the local vw garage and they need to know weather to order them in....??

Yep - can be adjusted. They only need replacing if they break.

VW can do that themselves (let's face it, they'd need to adjust 'em if they fitted new ones).

The only problem is if they've stretched too far, but I doubt that's likely.

Cheers Dude so i can save my self some money always a good thing. What about the squeakyness can you lube them up easily.....??? :D

Dunno about that. I'd say adjust 'em and put up with the squeak.. It'll probably go away if you lube 'em too, so a "free" repair! :)

Sweet !!!! While i am taking to some one who can help......Do you know if the horn, electric mirrors and central locking are on the same fuse as they all don't work....... :( Got the car this week end its so beautiful.

Ah, the honeymoon period.

You'll get over it. ;)

Erm, as for that electrical thing, dunno off the top of my head. Someone around here is sure to have a bentley manual kicking around who can answer that question. You could also just spend a happy hour with your fuse tester and see if there's any duds...

Yeah will do but not being funny but i cant get the blooing cover off..........!!!!!! :x I had a corrado dash in my mark 2 and that just pulled out but i fitted it a bit boge :-P

Regarding the cables,get yourself a cable oiler from a motorcycle shop(£5-£16) and some decent lube, but just check to see if the cable has a nylon liner ......if so only use a teflon baesd lube as anything else will expand it and grip your inner cable. :(

Hope this is of some help. :D

JUST FOUND A QUICK SHIFT KIT WITH CABLES FOR £70.00 POUNDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Any one know how easy they are to fit....??