bmcc

Anyway to start the starter motor with 12v supply cable missing?

Ok i have looked at starter motor on my car and it seems i am missing the 12v signal cable to the starter motor that must run from ignition. Or at least i think i have

Replaced alternator and car still has no joy in starting or charging battery. Bump starts fine, just cant stall or turn it off.

I noticed there is a spade terminal on starter motor with nothing attached, but i thought if that was case then when i try start car i can hear it turning then clicking repeatedly, would this still allow this to happen?

Im really starting to struggle to work out what is actually wrong here!

Can i run a cable from battery straight to this free spade to try see if this starts the car?

Give it a try, it's very difficult to bugger up starter motors they are very tough. When I was a kid I worked at an auto electricians at weekends, we use to jump start 6 volt beetles with a 12 volt battery all the time. But if you do break it, I didn't tell you to! Lol

to be honest the mood im in right now, i think if i managed to set the car on fire and watch it burn to the ground it might be satisfying!

but on a serious note, how would i go about doing it? just bridge it with a cable from battery to spade terminal?

Yep, a jump lead on the battery and just touch the terminal on the starter.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Just looked at your other thread with the pic, the large cable bolted on is the main cable from the solenoid. This is where the ignition switch cable goes to, not to the starter motor itself! The solenoid is like a big relay, the ignition switch causes this to make contact to the starter straight from the battery.

well it seems to have connection from ignition on ok, i was looking at wrong place!

but we got car running after checking everything out, it is definately the starter that is away as it started with a few gentle taps to it, but was like 1 in 10 times it worked, so its safe to say that the starter is gone then! :(

havent changed the battery

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

have also noticed that the main power cable running from battery to starter has somehow came a bit loose and at some point has hit the fan and it seems to have rubbed it down and damaged the internal cable itself, with about 5-6 strands snapped inside the cable, could this be a part to play in the starting problem?

"with a few gentle taps" suggests the solenoid is sticking. Take the starter off, remove the solenoid (three torx head (iirc) bolts), clean and grease the locking pin. Reassemble and refit.

If your not getting enough power from the battery the solenoid will tick on the starter, probably a good idea to change the live feed if its split, a nice thick wire will get alot of umph to the starter with a good battery. i dont think anything connects to that pin in your pic either.

can just get a new lead from like of halfords then and try fitting that and at least possibly rule that out then?

As said above,get a small piece of wire and touch the terminal where the spade connecter goes to the large connected pos beside it.this will be doing exactly what cranking on the key would do. If that doesn't work,you have a sticky armature/shaft on the solenoid as FLA said or your battery is fubared

car is sorted, was the negative cable that was off, the plastic sheath was still connected to battery and copper core had split and fell down slightly in plastic sheath, so no connection, but looked as if there was! wasnt until i was disconnecting battery again by chance i felt it by squeezing right through basically and knew that wasnt right, new cable on and fired up instantly! :)