James.

Tension plates. Opinions needed please

Just got round to replacing the tension plates in the old VR. When I opened up the new one, I noticed that the friction part wasn't as flush as the original one. The new one is a VAG part from the dealer. The only difference being that the friction plate is grey (nearest in photo) instead of a light brown.

The gap is about 3mm. Enough to concern me.

As you can imagine, it's not the kind of part that you can just take off and give them back if I'm not happy. Let alone if it decided to let go inside the engine.

Engine internal bods and those with these kind of experiences, comments very welcome.

Many thanks

James

Edited by James.

Are VW still selling that style of upper pad? Blimey.

Everyone else uses the MK4 items instead, which are fit and forget.

Upper pad - 021109509E

Tensioner bolt - 021109507B

As for the pad you've got there. It doesn't look great does it, but it should work OK if you want to stick with it.

Cheers Kev

You're right, the Mk4 version does look a lot better. Seeing that the old ones had lasted 175K I thought to replace like for like would be best practice.

Didn't realise this was a "do-able" upgrade though. This must have slipped through the net for me.

Think I'll take it back and swap it for the Mk4 part. I'm going to need a new tension bolt anyway. And peace of mind is also a bonus.

Thanks once again

James