sam2.0

Sunroof motor issues

Motor seems temperamental, it will open no problem, but fails to close sometimes.

If I take the cover off from around the lights and push the motor it works again. I bough a second hand one recently and it does the same.

I've read a bit about them, but it tends to be about them not working at all. Is this common, is there an easy fix?

When it's closing does the sunroof keep stopping. Ie closes a little bit every time?

Could be the motor on its way out.

No, it closes smoothly. It does have a step in speed, when it starts to close (from fully open) its slow, then goes a bit faster, finally slowing down for the final close. I assume this is by design though.

I tried it again today. Opened no issues, but wouldn't shut, a slight tap on the casing and it shut no problems. I didnt need to keep pushing it. I suspect some dodgy wiring.

Is there a wiring diagram? I assume the open and close wires are differnt.

If it's a late car that operates the roof via the full closure, close the roof, then drop the motor out and leave it connected. Now operate the full closure and make sure it's syncronised. Now operate it via the switch back and forth and see if the motor turns OK. If it does, it's probably the roof mechanism. It doesn't take much resistance to stop these motors.

When it's closing does the sunroof keep stopping. Ie closes a little bit every time?

Could be the motor on its way out.

Mine does exactly that - it's not the motor, it's sticking inside the mechanism. Easy way to check - firstly close it fully, drop the motor and run it backwards and forwards on the switch to check it's moving freely and not binding anywhere inside. Then, replace the motor (remember to synchronise it by running it forward to the closed position first!) and turn the interior light on. Open the roof and close it - if the light dims as the motor cuts out halfway shut, then it's stopped because the overcurrent protection in the motor has kicked in to stop it pushing against too much resistance. You may be able to get it working properly again with careful cleaning and some of VW's magical grease-made-out-of-dead-unicorns but you probably need to strip it out and replace it to get it 100%. I stopped caring after a while :lol:

Stone

If I remove the motor from where its meant to go, it will still need a 'push' to get it working again.

The lights do dim when the motor runs, but the motor isn't cutting out. The motor wont close the lid at all, until I push it, then once I've pushed it, it will close all the way without stopping or needing to be pushed again.

This is the case with both motors I now have.

Strip it out and replace it? You mean the whole motor or gears etc?

TBH, I'm happy having to push the plastic cover to get it to work, but I know one day, it'll fail when it stats hammering down with rain. Then I need to take the cover off and get the allen key out to do it up!

The lights do dim when the motor runs, but the motor isn't cutting out. The motor wont close the lid at all, until I push it, then once I've pushed it, it will close all the way without stopping or needing to be pushed again.

As I said, it's struggling against resistance. A little shove is probably all it needs to overcome it. The inner liner binding on the aperture seal is an old favourite. Is your roof panel aligned correctly? Should be 1mm proud at the back and 0.5mm recessed and the front IIRC.

This is the case with both motors I now have.

I have 5 sunroof motors at home. 1 won't close. 2 are fine. 2 open only. They are very fickle.

Strip it out and replace it? You mean the whole motor or gears etc?

It's all one unit and hideous money from VW.

So the answer is to put up with it?

Yes, it sits correctly, no issues winding it back and forth with the allen key, its smooth and no notches or grinding noises.