Sign in to follow this  
g-spott

g-lader rebuilt

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my g-lader and i had a question

On the vwvortex forum everybody is talking about special tools to remove and install the bearings,but can't i just heat up the g-lader house and put the bearing in the frezer....seems allot easyer......

but can't i just heat up the g-lader house and put the bearing in the frezer....seems allot easyer......

Haven't done this myself yet, but know a few people in Germany who do exactly the same thing, so there must some element of truth to the oven/freezer approach, well scientifically it makes sense, anyway :D

Tempest

yeah this method is definatly our prefferd one too none of this pressing in malarkie ... if it isnt 100% square you can easilly damage casings... go for some heat and freeze them bearings .. :lol:

How long does it actually take to rebuild a g-lader? Day long job, half a day if you know what you are doing?

I removed, rebuilt and refitted one on my mates Corrado in an afternoon. My second go, after doing my own a month before.

I used a hot air stripper for heat. The bearings drop in pretty easy then.. :mrgreen:

Gavin

I think it's possible in one day.I know somethings about fixing cars...do all the work my self but this is the first time i rebuilt a g-lader it's not that big of a deal everything goes in one way so you cant do anything wrong

I'm glad when this is all done,before the rebuilt my car pulled like thick shit

can anyone send me the info i need to rebuild mine? my cars done 98,000 n shes never been done, where can i get the bearings etc n how much are they?

i thought when they rebuild chargers the put some kind of special coating inside it to prevent wear. what do they use? :?

As Gavin has said, heating the bearing housings up with a good old black and decker heat gun for a few minuites is a very effective way of creating enough expantion in the housings as so the bearings can be easierly removed/refitted, without undue force.

The mai function of the spray applyed to the charger upon reassemble is to gum up the apex seals to create a air tight seal in the chambers giving the charger good compression.

If you are unsure of anything as you are reassembling your unit, give me a bell and i'll be happy to talk you though the easiest method of approching it.