Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

Which gearbox?? G60 or VR

just about to start a G60 conversion after my late raddo's barrier surgery, will mostly be using it for Pod obviously i'm looking ath the best terminal et not so much bothered about messing about in the streets, before i fit it i need to know do i use the G60 box and put a Quaiffe LSD and paddle clutch in it or do the same with a VR unit or as someone has mentioned to me using a drag spool and paddle clutch in the G60 box (sorry forgot to mention will be looking at producing a fair amount of bhp :)

any advice will be much appreciated

I would recommend the VR gear box and Quaife. VR box is not a direct bolt in for the G60, something about bell-housings. I recommend the VR gear box because it has longer gears, something I think a built G60 needs because of how much low-end torque it has. Stock G60 gets you to 20mph in 1st while the VR is 40mph in first. Also, you have to shift into 3rd to hit 60 in a G60, VR you hit it in 2nd. A VR box into a G60 would be my first mod if I had a G60.

I'm with Krazee here - VR6 gearing! When I race my mate in his VR, it's obvious 1st & 2nd gear on the VR are exactly what the G60 need. I don't actually think 3rd & 4th are that bad on the G60, that's where I think they start to coming in to decent power.

I think Henny has just done a box for his G60 using the VR's 1+2, might be worth dropping him a PM about it.

Dan

use a lighter car.

corrado is shite for dragging. you want lighter car with top end power to get rid of the wheelspin. All wheel or rear would help too.

a VR clutch is upto quite a lot. drops into the G60 box.

G60 aint a good drag engine either. too short on engine revs. you gotta change too often.

I think Henny has just done a box for his G60 using the VR's 1+2,

Yup. That's me! 8) (Well Stealth built it for me anyway! ;) )

I had exactly the same thoughts as you about the standard G60 box... 1st and 2nd were always way too short so I had a VR6 input shaft with 1st and 2nd (and reverse!) installed into my G60 box while it was having a re-build and Quaife LSD installed... 8)

IIRC the first gear is almost identical to the G60's, but the second is a lot longer so it should mean that I'll hit third slightly higher up in the power band and it should make 0-60 a 2 gear job, and 0-100 a damn site faster... 30-100 speeds should also be much faster which is why I wanted it for getting onto motorways in the morning... ;)

It's not particularly cheap (over £1000 + VR6 parts) but I feel it will be worth it once the car is back on the road... 8)

:shock: your not shy to chuck a few quid at her are ya!!! 8)

:oops: you don't know the half of it... :wink:

So Henny, you gained an extra what half a second to 60 using the VR 1st and second? Or more? Did it/does it affect your quarter mile times would you say? Im looking seriously at this mod but Dont know if I can justify the expense for what little benefit you get given that this would be more of my fun daily driver rather than a "I care about every last way of gaining drag times" kind of thing.

So Henny, you gained an extra what half a second to 60 using the VR 1st and second? Or more? Did it/does it affect your quarter mile times would you say? Im looking seriously at this mod but Dont know if I can justify the expense for what little benefit you get given that this would be more of my fun daily driver rather than a "I care about every last way of gaining drag times" kind of thing.

:oops: I can't answer those yet 'cos my engine and gearbox are still sat on my garage floor... :oops:

I needed the LSD 'cos of the engine spec that I've now got, without it I'd be spinning one wheel all the time... The gearbox needed a rebuild as it has 250K miles on it, and while it was apart, an extra £200 got me a VR6 box to put the different ratios in from... The different gear ratios in effect cost me less than £200 (Vince gave me a slight discount 'cos he kept the rest of the gearbox and my original input shaft and 1st/2nd gears... 8) ) and there was no labour costs as the box was already in bits...

I didn't do the 2nd gear mod just for 0-60 times... I did it for the 30-100 times which should be much better as I can then leave it in second until almost 70 and when I hit 3rd I'll be right in the power band and have maximum torque... It's this kind of driving that I'll need to do most days, not 0-60... 8)

My car is also due to be a daily driver, so I've not gone all out on it (believe it or not!).... The mods I've done were designed to give a very quick, very nimble, enjoyable and reasonably reliable car which can also hold it's own on a 1/4 mile and around a track... 8)

G60 aint a good drag engine either. too short on engine revs. you gotta change too often.

i know but know one would buy the engine after my crash so instead of letting it rot away or basically give'n it away i thought what the hell

right then shopping list

1 VR gearbox

Drag spools

Paddle clutch

any offers?

will be making my way to the for sale area now me thinks...

is the corrado vr box the same as the mk3 golf vr box as i've seen a couple of these for sale

also anybody know where i can get a set of wheels and slicks or any wheels thats are 6" wide

is the corrado vr box the same as the mk3 golf vr box as i've seen a couple of these for sale

I have a list of the gearbox codes that you need the cogs out of to convert the G60 box to the correct ratios... It's at home though, I'll post it up later...

It does include ANY VR6 engine'd box though, but not the later 24V or 4motion ones though... 8)

The easyist way to get a improved 0-60 etc is with just a mk3 16v golf box.I rebuilt mine last year with vr6 1st and 2nd which works very well but does cost a bit.

need a quick reply if poss, been offered a Corrado Vr6 box for £375 with average miles on it (below 100k) does this sound good or should i offer less

need a quick reply if poss, been offered a Corrado Vr6 box for £375 with average miles on it (below 100k) does this sound good or should i offer less

Sounds high, try and barter a bit.

Check for diff backlash by turning the input shaft back and forth and also for output shaft bearing play by wobbling it as hard as you can. If no weird noises or play, you're good to go :thumb right:

I got a GOOD lowish milage Golf VR6 box for £200.... £375 is heavy... :?

sold, :mrgreen:

have been told it's not such straight swap though (sumit bout the bell housing) , is there much to work to change

sold, :mrgreen:

have been told it's not such straight swap though (sumit bout the bell housing) , is there much to work to change

I'm not selling one! I BOUGHT one for £200... I was saying that 375 is too much for a VR6 gearbox... :roll:

Sorry for any confusion! :?

If I hear from any of the people I asked about VR gearboxes when I was looking, I'll let you know... 8)

some people just do not sleep. keep up the good work

cheers

Yup, I'm an insomnia sufferer... :? Sometimes I just can't sleep... other times I just can't wake up! ;)

been offered a vr6 box with 77k on it paying £250 (not bad i think)

when going to look is this all i have to check

Check for diff backlash by turning the input shaft back and forth and also for output shaft bearing play by wobbling it as hard as you can. If no weird noises or play, you're good to go :thumb right:

cheers to all for advice now see my next question (i have millions :) , and you have the knowledge) :!: