Dollyman

Replacing HU

Hi all,

Have a Sony HU in my recently acquired C. It does the job but the display is just toooo irritating, so have got a Kenwood - with Bluetooth hands free to replace it.

Have fitted HU's before so not a complete novice but do I have to bear in mind any points re the Toad alarm fitted and am also wondering about getting the existing HU out.

Any suggestions/ advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Jeff

best bet is to remove teh glovebox (a job in itself!), and the lower passenger side shelf (easy). Then you have clear access to the back of the HU and any relevant connectors. Also a good opportunity to put in any padding etc to cure rattles etc!

You can do what H said but to be honest you'll get away with just pulling the unit out and swapping em unless your running rca's and more.

Thanks. Any advice on "just pulling the unit out"?

Hasan, I'm lucky I don't have many rattles from there - plenty from the back of the car though :roll:

Jeff

You can do what H said but to be honest you'll get away with just pulling the unit out and swapping em unless your running rca's and more.

Remove the faceplate, then the surround, then get a really thin and I mean thin as you can flat screwdriver and slide it in between the main unit and the cage where the keys would normally go and give it a good fiddle. Then using another flat head slowly pry the unit out. You may have to release the other side aswell but generally once one sides out it'll just pop out.

Sounds ghetto and car theif-ish but it works and if your carefull you won't damage anything. I took the old clarion headunit out of my corrado in about 2 mine yesterday.

Cool, thanks. Careful will be my middle name!!

Cheers

Jeff

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Just a thought, is the cage likely to be universal?

Cheers

Jeff

I haven't had any universal cages yet and I've had many stereos but they've all been post 2000 models.

H is right. Why do you think I like corrados so much!

Not sure if you'd be able to use the same cage.

Someone did tell me you can buy cages separately from the respective HU makers for about £10.

Can anyone confirm this?