hyland770

PAS and general under bonnet gubbins

Right ive decided not too sell and to make a proper go of my latest rado!

So this weekend im going to get stuck in, first things after an oil change and service is the PAS. The PAS makes a rickety noise when im stationairy but if i turn the wheel the noise goes away. i only have to turn the wheel about an inch just enough to take up the slack and everythign purrs like a goodun! Do i just need to tighten up the belt to solve this problem, i occasionaly get a whiff of hot rubber so i guess the belt could be slipping and the more i think about it the more that seems like the logical explanation!

Also my second question is...How can i make the throttle revs drop off quicker when i take my foot off the gas? throttle is very responsive when i put my foot down but i when i take the foot off the gas its a lot less responsive is there a way to quicken this up, apart from making sure everything is clean?

third question...did the corrado come with a long ratio gearbox, the gears seem to go on forever in this one, its a 1.8 16v kr engine.

Will get some pics and let you know how i get on over the weekend.

KR has the shortest ratios of any Corrado gearbox, shorter than the 2.0 16v. Should still pull 130+ in 5th though.

sounds like your throttle cable is well worn, they do that as the lining wears due to the 180 degree bend they make, you can try to lube them but a new cable is what's really needed. You may have to get one made up now though as I'm not sure VW do them now.

get a new PAS belt, old ones always make noises and a new one is cheap, then go from there.

Thanks david, knew you would know whats wrong!

I know this sounds stupid but could i tie a knot in the cable to shorten it a tad so its nearly back to normal length, sounds silly but in theory should work right? Also where is this 180 degree bend?

I have a PAS belt spare from my last rado so ill sort that this weekend too.

Service should help general feel and performance i guess, looking forward to getting into this one!

Pics on the way....

The only real way to make the revs drop quicker is to get the flywheel lightened. With less weight there is less inertia so it will slow quicker. If you've got a spare belt, well worth changing it. Less than a fiver for a new one from ECP/GSF regardless. I have a KR, and I found second gear to be seriously looooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg! lol! First is quite short tbh, but 2nd will put you past 70 til the limiter kicks in! Mine takes a while to drop off revs, more so when cold for some reason though?. :shrug:

Well your ratio sounds the same as mine then because 1 is real short but the rest are loooooong! Ill do the belt tommorrow and iv sourced a throttle cable thats only a fiver so that doesnt sound too hard to fit either. Ill give it a good blast from london to suffolk tonight too so should clear any cobwebs out!!!

Thanks for the help guys