laurielaeks

G60 Lean and underpowered

Hi all, could anyone shed some light on my situation im in? ive recently bought a corrado g60 and its very underpowered.

on the emmisions tester its running very lean and when you drive it its very hesitant and has bursts of power.

is there anywhere i should check? i forgot to mention the timing was done recently and the mechanic said it might need to go back and get the air/fuel mixture set, would this cure the power problem?

thanks in advance

That may be part of your problem.

Is there any history of the charger being serviced??

As this sounds very much like the apex seals are on there way out if the power is coming on in bursts.

If your mechanic had set the dynamic timing adjustment, then indeed he should have followed it by adjusting the CO and idle. These three settings are normally adjusted together on G60's, as each has an influence on the other.

Surging power could be attributable to charger drive belt slip, or indeed as OwenG60 says extensive internal charger wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where was your charger last serviced??

After stripping a couple of chargers in the last few days i have seen some recently work that looks like it had never been serviced.

The charger i just stripped last night had apparently been done in November 2010 and i had the paperwork with serial numbers to match and the seals basically fell out as i pulled the cases apart...

Im sure John has seen very similar situations in his years of servicing G laders

It was serviced by Jabba sport in 2010 and hardly seen the road since, it was a supply only service so it's maybe been incorrectly installed? I know the previous owner to the man I

Just bought it of was having problems with it overfuelling and now it's lean according to the emissions tester with 0.000 %

Do you still have a cat fitted? When you measured the CO was the gas reading taken pre-cat, from the sampling pipe?

im unsure it was just showing them readings from the mot test. should i stick it to the garage to ensure the timing air/fuel is set up correctly first before doing anything else or am i starting wrong?

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

when i say underpowered i mean, its like its missfiring sometimes

If you have a cat fitted, and given that the ECU control systems are functioning correctly, you will read a CO of 0 from gasses measured at the tailpipe.

Misfiring is a very different issue to charger surging. I suggest that you take your car to a mechanic familiar with the PG engine and it's timing and emissions systems. A logical and progressive system check, and set up adjustment, should highlight any fault and return your car to working within its perameters.

yeah it does have a cat fitted , ok ill do that, i noticed today its got a slight cold start problem aswell, cuts out and only after the 3rd attempt it worked fine, as soon as its even slightly warm it starts no problem, a good service and set up may be in order then

Sounds like a blocked fuel filter or pump not cutting the musturd but as said above check timing first.I've only ever known g60s to run rich even when not running right,so running lean means fuel system is not keeping up with demand. Never heard anyone getting 0% on emissions before unless you haven't got ur exhaust connected! Was that CO reading? check the PPM part will give u a good indication how lean its running.anything under about 200 is a bit lean,anything over 900 is bit rich

did you get the fueling sorted??

If it is still misfiring after this look at replacing your ECU relay...

I had mine misfiring even after having my timing and fueling checked... the mechanic changed the dizzy for some reason.

Turned out it was the ecu relay.... easiest way to check this is to turn the ignition on... not starting the engine tho... and check if the ISV buzzes..

Perform this several times if on any one of the tests it doesnt buzz then your relay is at fault.... It took me about 35 tests to get the ISV not to buzz so it can be very hit and miss

its just been in getting its mot done.

Printed of alot of info on timing the car and ignition timing, im going to ensure this is correct first before getting it put to the garage to check fuel, im also going to order and fit a new fuel filter and possibly pump If i can get one cheap enough, because ive been reading threads about hard starting and this seems to be the cure, my cars hard to start.

It would turn over and die, if i kept it turning over and pumping the throttle it would eventually come to life after about 5 turns but i have to keep some revs on it until it would idle without cutting out. its perfect when warm though.

also thinking to order new plugs and leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and maybe replace coil?

just trying to eliminate all possible causes for this problem.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

out of interest, do you know what the correct co level is for a g60 corrado w/ cat?

mines reading 0.0 on the emissions test

Edited by laurielaeks

think ive found the information for the co level to be 0.7 +or- 4%

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

think ive found the information for the co level to be 0.7 +or- 4%

If your mechanic had set the dynamic timing adjustment, then indeed he should have followed it by adjusting the CO and idle. These three settings are normally adjusted together on G60's, as each has an influence on the other.

Surging power could be attributable to charger drive belt slip, or indeed as OwenG60 says extensive internal charger wear.

hey i think i have the same problem, i just bought the rebuilt kit for my g60, and after i did that i didnt feel any difference on my car's performance or aceleration, do you think it the charger was to worn out? or could be some the idle that may need to be adjust? and by the way i think i may need to do the clutch work soon too. any advice about it man?

If its running lean, then that's your reason for your engine being hard to start, as the engine will run a richer mix until it has gotten up to running temperature