James.

DAB car stereo - Anyone got a suggestion

I've had a DAB radio in the kitchen for about five years now and want to install DAB in the car (Don't understand why I haven't looked at this sooner !).

Does anyone out there run Dab in their car ?

Anything I should look out for and/or avoid ?

I've done a bit of research about the need/no need for some aerials etc but wouldn't mind advice from a person, rather than a magazine who's had the unit fitted for them.

Looking for an all in one unit as the plug in and locate elsewhere units (Pure for example) seem clumsy and I can imagine will be superseded within a couple of years.

Seen Philips, Kenwood units but wouldn't mind a few pointers.

Thanks in advance, James

I have a Blaupunkt Woodstock which is a fairly old DAB stereo, but I only use it on FM in the Corrado as I don't have an aerial. I've looked into getting one but they aren't cheap, and as discrete as they are, they're still visible and spoil the car IMO.

The stereo actually came out of a old MK2 Golf I had, which had the aerial too (I foolishly didn't take the aerial when I broke the car). What can I say about DAB... well, where I live it was okay. There are blackspots, and when you hit them you don't get interference, you get nothing - the radio just goes quiet and comes on again. Clarity-wise, I didn't notice much difference on FM but it was good getting the AM stations in digital.

Unless you want to get 5 live in digital clarity, or there are some stations on DAB you simply must have that aren't on FM/AM then I'm not sure it's really worth looking into, as normal FM radio is good enough. I never used any of the extra functions (search by genre, ensembles, etc) as I didn't need them. I also don't think there is a great deal of choice in DAB headunits these days as it has kind of been abandonned as a technology.

From what I understand about aerials, external aerials are miles better for reception, and hidden/internal aerials aren't too good. I heard of one guy sticking a large aerial horizontally under the rear bumper which may be a good idea.

Some good points there Tony. Especially about the rear bumper/ariel solution, so a big thank you.

I too felt that DAB has been abandoned as a technology. Especially (as it seems to appear) in respects to in car entertainment.

You're correct with what I'd want it for, mainly BBC 6 music (which I listen to 90% of the time), followed by Planet Rock (5%), five live and talk sport (5%).

I read that the take up on digital hasn't been against plan for the proposed 2015 switch over. And as such has been extended. It doesn't bode too well.

The first brand that sprang to mind was Blaupunkt. Think I'll look at a good second hand unit then.

Thanks once again, James

Edited by James.

There were rumours that the UK may abandon DAB in favour of or go with a hybrid system in conjunction with Sirius. The Satellite radio provider in the USA. They have sold 9 million radios in the States and coverage is much better than DAB. Don't know what's happened to that plan though. Google doesn't show any recent news.

I have an Internet Radio at home which is fantastic. 10,000+ stations from around the world. Don't think we're quite there with car-based internet yet though. Here in Cologne we are rolling out 100Mb 4G Internet at the moment. I got a USB dongle on approval from Deutsche Telecom (for work) and it was showing 75Mb Download and 10Mb Upload on speedtest.net

Edited by MikeVR6

That certainly ties in well with what I've been reading Mike.

Internet radio is the way forward, no question. It's all but a question of how you take it to the masses and in what time frame.

Home wise I'm hooked up. Just feel a bit musically short changed when I'm in the car. What since Manchester Rock radio changed hands, I don't get that Slayer "pick me up" first thing in a morning that I used to. For some reason the Foo Fighters doesn't have the same effect.

I previously had a Blaupunkt Nashville DAB35 in my old Volvo 480GT. I had the DAB aerial mounted in the top middle of the windscreen. It looked fine in that location IMO. The only thing with Blaupunkt's is that they're not everyone's cup of tea looks wise. It was in my old car for about 2 years and I took it out when I sold the car. I've still got the headunit and DAB aerial in the loft (I tend to hoard stuff and never sell it!). I would be willing to sell them both though if you were interested. Would probably be looking at £50 + P&P.

That certainly ties in well with what I've been reading Mike.

Internet radio is the way forward, no question. It's all but a question of how you take it to the masses and in what time frame.

Home wise I'm hooked up. Just feel a bit musically short changed when I'm in the car. What since Manchester Rock radio changed hands, I don't get that Slayer "pick me up" first thing in a morning that I used to. For some reason the Foo Fighters doesn't have the same effect.

Hi James I cant help with your search for knowledge regarding DAB radio but I have to agree with you comments about Manchester Rock Radio changing hands. I feel there as been a huge mistake by the radio station in question and that a massive opportunity has been missed regarding the playlist. And Planetrock as made the same error. Its too limited and if you have listened for any length of time (and I'm sure you have) you get the same tracks being played over and over again. Even the shows presenters must be fed up listening to the same tracks by now. When it first came on air I couldn't get enough but now I only listen in when my Ipod's battery as died on me.

Rant over sorry to hi jack your thread.

Cheers Alan

I used to have a Woodstock in my Elise, sound seemed good though hardly the best car for quality hifi. Felt a bit cheap though compared to alpines etc.

I've had DAB in a few cars in various guises.

Originally, I got one of those Revo units which come with a 'windscreen' aerial and ran that in my Passat V6 (going back a few years now).

The reception was 'ok' but I did enjoy the larger range of music, and it worked fine to and from work, so suited at the time.

The unit got shifted to my Passat W8 and I did eventually get an external magnetic aerial. Pretty small, and it used it's magnetic connection to the car as a resonator to pick up great signal. But, it tended to freeze every now and again. I guess the Revo unit was very early.

Then got a Smart car.

They're plastic, therefore, the external aerial didn't work.. lol. Back to the internal one which I mounted in the front 'bonnet'.

Signal was pretty good - much like the Passat V6 though. Not the greatest experience.

I then moved to my current car which is an Audi A4 with built-in DAB.

So it uses its tailfin aerial and supplementary aerial in the back window - and the signal is absolutely perfect. Love it. And missed it a lot when in France this week - who knew France had no DAB!? It's all FM, and terrible coverage!

The Audi unit has FM fallback too - so if listening to Radio 1, for example, and the DAB signal drops, it automatically reverts back to FM (which is has time-delayed by a second or two so you don't notice - normally FM is a second or two ahead of DAB!) and brings it back when signal returns. Flawless.

And yes, with good components, the quality difference is clear - but remember some stations are higher bitrate than others. The less commercial, smaller stations tend to be a lower bandwidth - and therefore don't sound as clear.

Radio 1 and Capital are 160kbit/sec for example.

Chill is 96kbit/sec and mono, IIRC, too...

So - the long and short of it - I think DAB is really only a good experience that you will enjoy if you get a good unit AND ensure you have a good aerial.

If you scrimp on either, you'll just make it a 2nd rate 'add-on' to your car entertainment rather than the main thing you use.

My 2p ;)

I'm changing cars in April and will be installing DAB in that too, somehow!