Ronko

wishbone bolt seized vr6

hi im in the process of overhauling all suspension components not because there all shot just for piece of mind that there all new and good. however the rear bush bolt in the wishbone is seized in, front came out ok ive soaked in wd40 numerous nights tried rust off ice i know if i pull on the breaker bar anymore it will definatly shear and the result would be lets say catastrophic. Cant really get heat on it either due to the base of the bolt being covered also smacked it with a hammer to free but no joy. Anyone got any ideas??

I found that the heat from ploughing a drill bit down the middle of the bolt normally gets enough heat in to crack it. Obviously don't go too big with the drill bit though.

I've had good results with bolt freeze sprays before, sadly I can't remember the specific brand/can I've used in the past but the results were actually astounding.

Plays second fiddle to some heat but certainly a good backup option for tight places.

If the bolt head is recessed and inaccessible, drill a decent sized HSS drill bit 10-15 millimetres into the head and disconnect it from the drill chuck to leave it projecting. Then you can use this as a heat conductor into the bolt without risking getting heat where you don't want it.

Best wishes

RB

I've had good results with bolt freeze sprays before, sadly I can't remember the specific brand/can I've used in the past but the results were actually astounding.

Plays second fiddle to some heat but certainly a good backup option for tight places.

plumbers stores have pipe freeze spray, which would do the exact same thing, to OP good luck!! i once had the front bolt sheer on me, wasnt nice! luckily a forum memeber pointed me in the right direction, basicly had to drill the bolt down through the wishbone so i could remove it, then drill and tapp a new thread, alot easier said then done!! took me 6hours on my back ! with a hangover! wasnt nice! but got it done properly!

only 2 pics i have,,

wishboneboltsnapp.jpg

wishbonetapp.jpg

I'm taking it in work tommorrow and getting over the pit and get some heat on the situation. I've tried freezing it with wurth's rost off ice it's great stuff it's the equivalent to plus gas but didn't budge it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rost off ice is great stuff, saved my bacon many a time.

Heat is the next step step as you say and plenty of copper slip when you put the new bolt in ;)

Good news got the bolt out in one piece with the help from the gas bottles. I removed alot of underseal from chassis and warmed it all soon came loose. I don't really like using heat on cars incase they go up not this time though, they need front and back bushes I'll see how much a full wishbone is from Vw anyone know? Also need ball joints due to ripped boot, anti roll bar bushes and drop links all Vw stuff not the Cheap crap, when ive got gsf stuff in the past always end up replacing it again. I'll get some photos up in the members gallery of "the bolt". Thanks for the input.

Edited by Ronko

I had the same problem and ended up changing the subframe. I must have spent the 40 pounds the subframe cost on gas drill bits and other tools! 2 new bolts from VW and all sorted. Plenty of copper ease when reassembling. The trouble was my car had been kept in a muddy field by the previous owner so I think this did not help.