ammo

How should the battery be fixed to the bay?

Hi

I've just replaced my battery in my VR and now I have the right size battery that isn't fitting in the bay.

I have 1 front bolt and bracket to hold down the battery but nothing on the side? So the battery moves a little.

Does anyone have a picture of the factory setup and what I'm missing on mine.

I'm getting to think my car isn't anywhere near as it left factory :(

Cheers

Ammo

Presuming of course the VR battery mounting is the same as a 16V (will have to check this) there should only be one bolt and bracket to anchor it from the front. Get this tight enough and it shouldn't move at all.

just the square plate at the front and one nut , that should be tight enough to stop it sliding

some batterys have provision for a clip on peice along the bottom ridge , vw's needs that bit for the clamp to grip on ...if you feel bodgey a couple of inches of rubber hose or a pencil jammed in there will work

Square plate is tight as I can get it. There is a plate on the left side with 2 holes that looks like something could be bolted to it, hence why I was asking.

I'll jam something under the battery to raise it up abit to make up the difference.

So, it's just the plate to hold it down and the battery 'jacket' that I'm missing? Anything else?

BTW Thanks for the quick replies guys

the battery should have a notch in the back bottom edge and there's a corresponding 'V' in the battery tray edge, that should stop the battery moving side-to-side

the battery should have a notch in the back bottom edge and there's a corresponding 'V' in the battery tray edge, that should stop the battery moving side-to-side

The battery tray does have the v where the battery sits in at the back just can get the front plate to hold the battery tight enough.

Edited by ammo
Misread post

Some have a plastic strip that fits into the recess at back of the battery. Mine was missing when purchased as it does move a bit forwards and backwards. Going to pop down to halfords to see if I can take one from another battery and this takes up the slack. If you look on the battery you will see 2 small holes where the strip would click into. Then the back end can be put under the lip and the bolt and bracket secures at the front to hold it all together.

Rams, I didn't get any plastic clips with the battery :( I do remember seeing the two holes in the back of the battery though.

no-more-nails?

I've had some batteries come with plastic wedges for the front too, which makes for a snug tight fit of the battery clamp.

no-more-nails?

I've had some batteries come with plastic wedges for the front too, which makes for a snug tight fit of the battery clamp.

No more nails? Surely not? :/

Anyway usual scenario as trying to fix 1 problem and another has occurred! :(

My steering wheel adjuster has just broke and steering is all over place now. It's back on the drive now. I've just f’Ing got it back after 5 months and only drove 1day!

Edited by ammo