VEEDUBHEV

Corrado problem & in need of help!!

Hi all. I apologise for lack of recent posts! Been super busy being Mom, ha.

Anyway today I had to limp my corrado home & I'm hoping one of you rado wizz's can help identify my problem.

Basically it tried cutting out as I approached traffic. I managed to catch it from stalling but it began to run really lumpy. Almost as if a spark plug wasn't working. It was misfiring & definite power decrease. Almost smelt like it was hot as well. Sounded a bit like a machine gun & juddering when going along as well, ha.

So if anyone has any theories I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Many thanks Hev :)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.389856,-2.262403

open teh bonnet with the engine running and see if you can see any sparks jumping across the leads to the head. You will also see the engine judder at the same time. Do it without light obviously to be able to see the spark. If nothing, gently shake each lead to see if you can effect a change in the noise.

If all leads seem to be ok, spray the coilpack with some water from a spray bottle and see if there any sparks there - if so, thats your problem. Rule these two out first, shouldnt take too long and let us know how you get on.

Then look at things like the ISV

Thanks Fla!! Just got chance for a proper look after putting the little one to bed. And with thanks to my iTorch I can conclude it is actually coil pack number 1 that has cracked & burnt! :S

Your advice will come in very handy in the future no doubt, ha ha.

New (aftermarket) coilpack is £78 inc VAT at GSF with 1yr warranty, don't pay VW prices for one! Mine went a week or so back, the cold isn't helping... While I was getting towed home the AA bloke said not replacing the plugs at regular enough intervals can be a contributing so might be worth swapping them at the same time, will only set you back £30 or so.

I should have stated I've got a vr6 rado so coil not dizzy cap.

Just for future reference, early VR6 Corrados had distributors, so you cant always presume that because it's a VR it will have a coil pack. Probabally a fairly useless piece of info, but you never know.

Got to say the dizzy VRs must have got phased out quickly. I have a 93 K reg VR and it has a coil. Did the dizzy VR only last about a year before being replaced with coilpack?

Mine is a 93 K reg VR as well, and has a dizzy - perhaps you and I are at the beginning and the end of the changeover point (respectively)