tentonhammer

Audio Sytem Build. Medium/ High Spec. Front End Pref. Discreet.

At a stage now where I can finally turn my attention towards a new sound system (at last). Current setup is knackered - Terrible Head Unit, both front door card speakers blown / over excurted (not by me), rear parcel shelf speakers although pretty decent 6x9 Alpine's have gotta go, Will consider stealth shelving perhaps with standard round shaped drivers NOT oval type - oval type terrible IMO.

As I'm bringing the car back to relatively OEM standard with minor performance / sport modifications I want the new audio setup to be medium / high end but in keeping with the car (without getting ripped off!). I want to focus more on the front end (coaxial drivers and decent HU with manual eq, CD, bluetooth etc) and only partially on the rear to balance the system (dog uses the boot alot so parcel shelf often removed rendering 6x4's useless). Want to explore using original rear speaker housings instead of using the parcel shelf really but as I said before will consider stealth shelving. Everything must be discrete / not in your face. Not keen on putting a bass box in the back either, want as much as I can on the front end.

Have only just started thinking about this so got a few ideas myself but nothing concrete.

Anyone running a similar setup or have any suggestions? Would be good to know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Ten Ton

Corrado 2.0 16V 92'

Edited by tentonhammer

doing this to mine at the moment and all 6 x 4 rear speakers will not provide enough clear sound with the required db, the four importers who bought the stealth shelfs into the country haven't any left and are not bringing anymore into the country either, i'm gonna get some 25mm thick MDF tomorrow and get the router/planer out and have a go at making one myself.

Audioscape pods for the door cards. Fit bigger 6.5" components up front, with a decent amp, head unit and sub. You don't sit in the back so why bother playing music back there? At best just upgrade the rear 6x4's in the rear shelf supports for a bit of fill. Add some cabling and connections for it all to replace the 20 year old standard looms.

I'm chuffed with the sound from my standard fit system, I've got 5.25 components in the doors, crossovers tucked in the space under the later window switches and I've installed the tweeters in the A pillar trim pieces.

Got rid of the dash speakers it's all wrong in terms of placement in my opinion, though I know lots get good results from them. Tried the tweeters in there but it wasnt right.

Then i can't stress enough the need to deaden the doors and any/everywhererr you can! I put dynamat literally anywhere that had bare panels or trim bits touching and the improvements were insane going from left to right onthe HUs balance when halfway through. Car is quieter on the road too.

Got pics in my members gallery.

Head unit wise look at Becker or nakamichi for the standard look and great sound.

Audioscape pods for the door cards. Fit bigger 6.5" components up front, with a decent amp, head unit and sub. You don't sit in the back so why bother playing music back there? At best just upgrade the rear 6x4's in the rear shelf supports for a bit of fill. Add some cabling and connections for it all to replace the 20 year old standard looms.

Been looking at Audioscape pods, or rather trying to! This was my first option but I can't find the damn things anywhere! Will have to do direct speaker replacements for now front and rear. Still trying to decide whether or not to go for coaxial or component up front? If anyone running component speakers how easy were they to fit? Build needs to be discreet.

Can anyone confirm the original speaker sizing? Was mounting them a problem? Mounting holes in the wrong places etc.

Still undecided on which HU. Naka units are ok, although their reliability concerns me plus they look a little cheap. Becker units are better / nearing the quality I'm after - not sure I want Porsche or Ferrari written on the face though! Decided bluetooth would be nice feature as well which only makes my search even harder!

Becker Traffic Pro is what you want then, or a Monza if you can live without bluetooth.

My comps were a diddle to fit straight in, with the hardest thing being all the time it took to fit the dynamat.

5.25inch fit the doors, don't get coaxials or the sound will be around your knees!!!

May I ask how heavy is the dynamat? Is it seriously hevy as in weigh a lot? Or is it next to nothing?

Cheers,

Redfox.

From what I've heard, there are better products out there than Dynamat. It doesn't weigh a ton but bearing in mind it's sound deadening there has to be some weight to it to stop the resonance.

There probably are more dense materials out there, and it all depends where you put it rather than simply how much you use.

If you can find bits of trim that touch it's amazing at stopping squeaks, buzzes and rattles etc. I didn't coat my car every inch, but instead picked contact areas and made sure I put pieces onto the metal panels.

There are indeed better products but it comes down to your requirements. The stuff I use is mostly used by spl boys and weighs an absolute shed load. Makes dynamat feel cheap lol.

Having said that I've also used dynamat and would say its good but you can get better vfm elsewhere. Do a search on talkaudio.

For a bare basics set up id go with 5.25" comps with the front doors deadened and the tweeters in the a pillar. Amp those and run a sub that suits your needs and voila. Ditch the rear speakers.

If you really don't want a sub try getting hold of genesis 6x9 subs and knock up a stealth shelf.

Edit: what Pete said about sound deadening is spot on. You don't need to cover every bit of bare metal.

Definately looking to pad out the doors with sound deadening matting - Fatmat or Ghost Probably, Dynamat unecesserarly expensive IMO. Makes sense to do this as I'm installing the new door speakers, while the door cards off etc. After all, I only want to do this once ;)

Looking like 5.25's comps up front, unless I get a cash injection to fit some SpoonFed door pods instead (seriously considering this but have issues with paying additional duty / vat cost etc)... This would certainly sort out my Sub issue because I could fit larger drivers up front instead - I don't really want to run a sub in the boot, always hated it, plus my dog would wreck the sh*t out of it. I admit though (before I start a rukus.. lol) that comp speakers up front and a sub in the back has a lovely sound to it with loads of room and plenty of clarity, (tbh it's probaly the best option) but the practicalities of running a sub in the boot just doesn't do it for me. Mainly because I actually use the boot and need all the room I can get! Having said that, if I can make the room somehow I'd love to hear what the Kicker 11PES10C's sound like

Edited by tentonhammer