Sign in to follow this  
randal

Horrible Crunching noise

Hello,

More a minor niggle than anything, but if it's the start of something bigger I want to nip it in the bud. Sometimes when I'm changing from 2nd to 3rd after booting it (say about 6K), I sometimes get a god almighty crunch. Which I can also feel from the gearstick. I thought it might be the linkage rods being in a funny position at first, but the more and more I think about it - the more methinks it something serious. Anyone had/seen similar probs before?

Thanks in advance

randal

Change the gearbox oil, then consider getting the cable change adjusted if it gets no better. If all that doesn't help, there's nothing that can be done without stripping and rebuilding the 'box. Not for the faint hearted..!

You should also consider the possibility that the clutch isn't clearing properly - maybe the slave cylinder?

I had a feeling someone was gonna mention gearbox rebuild... :mad: Ah well, thought everything was running too smoothly. Expensive things aside, whats involved in the cable adjustment? Whereabouts is it etc..? Plus, if worst comes to worst where is gonna be a good bet for either -

a) getting the box rebuilt

b) getting a 2nd hand box?

Is it 1.8 16v specific, or would a 2l / G60 box suit?

Tia

randal

Hmmm that would stand to reason. Would guess tho, if getting syncro's replaced - might as well rebuild the whole box anyway. Ah nuts.

Hmmm that would stand to reason. Would guess tho, if getting syncro's replaced - might as well rebuild the whole box anyway. Ah nuts.

Changing the gear oil to 50% semi synthetic and 50% non-synthetic decent new gear oil (1 litre of each) may make a BIG difference... I had this problem on my 1.8 16V corrado and on my MKII 8V Golf GTI and both times it was cured by this oil change... 8)

Go down this route before going for a new box... it's a damn site cheaper and about £25 compared with £500! ;)

Usually if the box crunches only in a particular gear, chances are that syncro is sawdust. But if you were to try the same - high revs on the box and try and get it into 4th and have the same issue, it's more likely to be cables adjustment.

I'd wager that a well adjusted change, and a nicely clearing clutch would help you a lot, and would certainly help to the point where you don't think it's worth spending the £500 on a 'box recon in the next year or so.