jezza

Few questions about the G60 lader

Hi to all.

My name is james and looking to G60 lader'ing my G40 after the summer.

Got a few questions about the lader.

What pulley size's do you run on here? Im looking at 65mm and was wondering what boost pressure this would make with 1) a standard charger and 2) a R1/Full blend charger.

Would anyone recommend running a standalone oil kit? Had some bad experiences with them in past so trying to avoid that.

Been looking into the G65 charger as it would be nice to do something know one has done to a polo G40, that im aware of. Has anyone on here experienced the G65 charger at all? I know there is a difference in boost pressure of 0.3-0.4 bar of boost on a standard charger and pulley. Just trying to figure out is it worth €1649.99! Probably not.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

James

Welcome.

I'd say most who modify (Inc myself) tend to run 68mm pulley's, it's the most common size and is a quick/decent little upgrade along with relevant chip. My charger is a full blend from Pitstop developments (No longer trading) and I tend to hit 14/15psi on the boost gauge. (PG G60 Engine with no head work)

As for the G65/G70...Not really worth it if you are getting high boost readings and/or with standard basic engine imo. The boost reading is just a measure of restriction. The money would be much better spent on head work to actually bring the boost reading/figure down and make use of the boost that's already there.

Obviously with more boost you can change the power band etc, but anything over 15psi and ideally you need different management. The Corrado ecu's map sensor only reads up to 1bar and some Rallye G60 ecu's got 1.5bar map sensors. Most ISV's tend to blow off (lol) at around 0.8/1.0bar too.

Make use of the boost I say:thumbleft:

I've never used a standalone oil supply for the charger, There's good reason for it to be added though (Constant pressure and temp rather than up/down from the cylinder head) but regular oil/filter changes are fine on the standard setup for most.

Neil.

Ok cheers for that. My g40 r1 charger produces 10-13 psi when going up the revs to 7500 rpm. I got a forged bottom end, ported head, cam, bigger inlet manifold and a 51mm throttle body (standard is 45mm)

I wonder what boost a g60 would make with my mods running a 68mm pulley?

A decent condition one should make around 15psi. Google matey matey for a general idea about the g60.

I'd def say try and get hold of a second hand one that been recently rebuilt and spend the spare on a charge cooler.

Might make your polo a bit of a handful though, I imagine it's pretty mental in the wet as it is

I may have a un-modified charger available soon.

If the price is right I would let it go

You could then get the porting done yourself if you wish

A decent condition one should make around 15psi. Google matey matey for a general idea about the g60.

I'd def say try and get hold of a second hand one that been recently rebuilt and spend the spare on a charge cooler.

Might make your polo a bit of a handful though, I imagine it's pretty mental in the wet as it is

Cheers, will give that a search. Yeah it can be in the wet but when its got proxes and half boost it isnt too bad. With the g60 charger im looking to put a quaife lsd in it as well.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

I may have a un-modified charger available soon.

If the price is right I would let it go

You could then get the porting done yourself if you wish

That would be handy. Not sure on what they sell for though? I have seen a few go on ebay from £300 -£700. There was a stage 4 one that went for £400 a few weeks ago that i missed out on.

Boost pressure is all about how restrictive your system is. I have a 65mm pulley on a 1.9l G60, flowed head shrick cam etc, and even when the charger is completely fresh I am only pulling about 11psi. As the head flows better, less air backs up, and your get less pressure - what you get though is more flow of air.

If you are revving to 7500rpm, I would not recommend a 65mm pulley on a G60 glader. They are not as high revving as a G40 one. As for how much it would flow, I presume you can get a rough idea from the relative sizes of the engines.

As Riley mentioned, management will be the problem as you may end up with too much boost and the MAP sensor not being able to read it. Neat idea though.

Yeah i know what you mean with the flow etc as i have had a lot of work. I just like the idea of a g60 charger as it has been done many times before. Most people have just got an uprated map sensor and never had a problem. I get all my mapping done by the best people around in the g40 scene (PPP) and after speaking to them i will make a plan on what to do as they might not be able to map it. My rev limit is 7821 i think but 7500k is my peak power, this would change with a different charger and setup of the cam etc. I was looking into the 68mm multi ribbed belt kits.

Do you run a bigger bored bottom end? Mine has increased to 1292cc --- 1341cc and my R1 charger still runs 10-13psi, before the head work and bottom end it was running 18/19 psi so i could see that the bigger throttle body, head and bottom end made a difference.

I dont know if you already know this info but:

A G40 charger will produce: 566ccm³ per rotation

A G60 charger will produce: 860ccm³ per rotation

This was carried out on a standard charger and standard pulley. I dont know what the standard size for the g60 is but the g40 is 75mm.

But you can see from the difference in per rotation that the g60 air flow is stronger. I think that running a 68mm pulley would be a better idea that 65mm and making the rpm lower would be a good idea.

Got a lot of research to do and hopefully with the help of you guys on here i can make a good plan whether to do this project.

Can i ask what power you make with your head work etc?

James

Yep, mine has been bored out to 1.9l. With all the work done to mine, the last time it was tested on Stealths rollers it made 252bhp at the flywheel (at about 6400rpm) and just over 222lbft. Standard pulley on a G60 is 72mm from memory, although to be honest I have never had a standard one on mine while I owned it.

I'm with you on only going to a 68mm pulley if you go down this route.

Thats interesting about the displacement of the 2 chargers - in theory you'll get about 50% more air out per revolution of the charger then. If nothing else changes in your setup the you should be seeing 50% more pressure. I can imagine issues around tensioning the ribbed belt efficiently so you don't get belt slip, especially given the added mass of the charger, and how to get the power on the ground given the light front end. It'll be a fun beast though when done...

Just make sure whatever you do,upgrade the small charger belt to the 11 or 12 mm one.if the belt snaps its game over for ur g-lader. Standard g60 pulley is 78mm,as the guys here said stick to the 68mm on,going smaller puts a lot of undue stress on the charger and they are fragile components. As said above removing restrictions in the inlet path is the best way to up the power without over speeding the charger. My first g60 had head work done,ported charger,de-wedged throttle,68mm pulley and 7200 rpm limit chip.it made about 11 PSI but the mid range/top end pull was brilliant and boost was smooth and linear.