m4ttj4mes

bypasing headlight switch??

hi guys,

in need of some help urgently, whilst awaiting a new headlight switch (after 155K mine finally broke up inside!) i was wondering whether i could make up a little piece of wire with the 'spade' terminals on to push into the redconnector block behind the switch so i could create the circuit to turn the headlights on, has anyone else done this before?? hopefully you know what i mean! and if so, which numbers (according to the back of the headlight switch each spade is numbered) need looping together? thanks in advance!!

matt :thumbleft:

Probably best to hang on till your new headlight swich arrives...If things doesnt go to plan whilst your doing the temporary mod you risk shorting the circuit and may be a fire risk. It will be more of a ball ache.

Get a 3 position switch from Maplins or the like if its gonna take a while for your proper switch to arrive. So long as none of the wires are shorting out, it will be fine. Will also be a good time to do the in-line fuse mod anyway so that would kill 2 birds and all that!

Your new switch went out first class post today, I couldn't get to the PO before due to working out in the country. I didn't know you were on the forum, you should've pm'd me for a switch as they are a better price for the forum. Ebay and Paypal fees hit it hard selling on Ebay, I'll refund you a bit as a gesture to look after the forum users. Hope I get good feedback on Ebay!!! Cheers buddy.

Your new switch went out first class post today, I couldn't get to the PO before due to working out in the country. I didn't know you were on the forum, you should've pm'd me for a switch as they are a better price for the forum. Ebay and Paypal fees hit it hard selling on Ebay, I'll refund you a bit as a gesture to look after the forum users. Hope I get good feedback on Ebay!!! Cheers buddy.

f*****g legend!! :thumbleft:

yeah sorry bud, ive seen forum buys etc but having never really dealt in any myself didnt really know how difficult it is... ah well, live and learn! feedback is always top notch for those who earn it haha

appreciate all the help guys but as you might have seen on my wanted thread, ive got bigger problems so i cant drive it at the momment anyway! :rolleyes:

would just like to say the new switch from 8vMatt turnt up yesterday, quality item and great service from you sir!

unfortunatly my headlights have stopped working again this evening and im in need of advice! we can rule out the headlight switch itself as they worked this morning (straight after i fitted the switch) and have just stopped again this evening; the situation is sometimes...

1) the sidelights both come on, (first click of the switch) but no dipped beam when the switch is clicked again - however when high beam is flashed, you can see the dipped beam bulbs lighting up aswell as the high beam so its not faulty bulbs...

2) the n/s sidelight bulb comes on only (o/s not working), and dipped beam does work, as well as high beam...

what the hell is going on???!! i have now replaced some wiring behind the switch in the cab (dodgy wiring), a new switch, replaced another section (about a foot length) of wiring which runs under the airbox (KR engine) and had new headlights with new bulbs, cleaned all connections, and no fuses are blown under the dash; above the pedals... does it sound like there could be some more s****ty wiring elsewhere in the engine bay or even a relay problem? if there is any associated with the headlights??

would love some help guys as this is p*****g me off big time and im starting to loath the corrado! :shrug: :sad:

matt

(also, would i benifit this new problem by changing the thread title? unsure how to do it!!)

really struggling with this one right now :puppydogeyes: had to drive home (0.5 miles from where i was) with high beam on and noticed that dipped beam suddenly decided to come on too so i turnt high beam off and continued to drive and all of a sudden dipped beam went off again! least to say ive never hit the high beam stalk quicker before but its really limiting me to day time driving atm! :sad: anyone had similar problems? are there relays related to the headlight loom - standard loom by the way...

ta

are there relays related to the headlight loom - standard loom by the way....

No relays, just the switch contact and the fuses in the wire routing. Only the fog lights involve a single relay.

Loom wires at the headlight switch connector - 1990 16v

Grey - Dash lights in from Fuse 3 – (10 amps).

Grey/blue stripe - to dash lights.

Red - Battery 12volts.

Brown - Earth (for internal switch illumination only, not outside lights)

White/Black stripe - Headlight dip/main beam stalk switch.

Then splits to front right dip via fuse 2 (10 amps) & left dip fuse 1 (10 amps) or right beam fuse 12 (10 amps) & left beam fuse 11 (10amps).

Grey/Black stripe - goes to fuse 8 (10 amps), then front side light & tail bulb - left side.

Grey/Red stripe - goes to fuse 7 (10 amps), then front side light & tail light - right side.

Grey/Green stripe – goes to fuse 3 (10 amps) to Grey wire above. Also to number plate lights. Also to relay to switch on 12 volts so fog lights work via fuse 10 (10 amps) and their switches.

Black/Yellow stripe – Ignition switch 12 volts switched via the ‘X’ relief relay. This provides 12 volts (ignition switched) for dip and beam head lights.

These colours are the headlight loom from the dash lighting switch to the connector at the back of the fuse/relay panel.

These wires terminate on the R position Blue connector on the back of the fuse box. Midway along the lower row of connectors, either side is a Blue connector and a White connector.

-----------------------------

Headlight Loom wires:

Right Side:

Grey/Red stripe Front side light

Grey Dip beam

whiteMain beam

[v]Left side[/u]:

Grey/Black stripe Front side light

Yellow/Black stripe Dip beam

White/Black stripeMain beam

These wires terminate on the A1 position Yellow connector on the back of the fuse box. Inboard bottom left end – final connector on the lower row. The connector on the row is also Yellow.

--------------------

The rest is upto you to find if the looms are still wired correctly or the tampering has resulted in incorrect wiring. If its been working with the new switch, I think you are looking for a dodgy connection in the wiring.

^ appreciate the help, that atleast gives me a bit to check but i agree that it does sound like sound fudged wiring connection somewhere, thanks again