vwnewbi

popping vw cherry

hay pepz

i kinda new to the vw craze and am in the middle of buyin a 1991 1.8 16v corrado, now ive seen all the crazy engine swaps on you tube but with a limited cash flow i was wondering wots guna get the most out of wot i got? im stuck between lookin at turbo kits for 1.8's or going for a vr6 swap? please any help would be sweet

I'd imagine that adding a supercharger would be the easiest and cheapest route. Not that I've done it. It should give you plenty of power at all revs rather than all coming in together.

Swapping for a VR6 would probably cause you the most work as it's not just the engine that you'd be replacing.

If either of these routes are too expensive then maybe just port the head and add a decent free flowing exhaust. And a decent air filter. And a lightened flywheel.

Or buy a VR6 or a 1.8t . Save a lot of time and money, especially if money is tight.

would there be enough power in the standard engine to power a supercharger? when u say swappin for a vr6 would corse more work wot do u mean? thank u for hittin me bk want to make a beast but on a decent budget

You will struggle to make a beast out of a 1.8 full stop inless you have a lot of money , swapping a vr lump requires the subframe swap also ( some one correct me if im wrong ) and all the driveshafts as vrs are a wider track to the 1.8 and 2ltr cars ! Not sure on the g60

Dropping a 1.8t in would be a good bet on power but its still gonna cost you a fair bit even if you do all the work ie you have to get the loom chopped and the ecu reprogrammed and stuff like that , it all costs money

Im no mega mechanic but if your after power why not start with a vr or 1.8t already installed instead of jumping in at the deep end and swapping engines about first off just live with it then slowly decide what mods you want to do to increase the power .

You could put the engine transplant money in to buying a car with the engine you want already in it so it saves alot of hassle from the off

is there a 1.8t engine that would drop in with out changin engine mounts? i have got a mate sellin a audi a3 1.8t would that be any gd? ive heard gd and bad things bout the g60 lumps like there unreliable etc is it true or am i being thrown of a gd trail?

The G60 is reliable depending on its history. If you can find one that has been well looked after and hasnt been fiddled with then you will be okay. The superchargers, or G-lader if you want to be correct do need refurbishing every now and then. If you get the G-lader ported to stage 4 for example to allow more air flow then the service interval does come down to around every 15-20K.

My G60 has had alot of money spent on it (10K+ in the three years I've owned it) but that because I've had to repair what the previous owner did wrong (no Gbox oil for example so the gearbox exploded after 15k miles). But now I have replaced alot of the old parts its fairly reliable.

You will have to spend alot of money either way with a corrado to be honest.

If you're looking for power theres no point point in buying a standard 1.8 16v, by the time you've spent money on a gas flowed head, cams, 4 branch, exhaust and a remap you could have bought a decent G60 or VR.

Plus to supercharge a high compression block/head such as the KR 1.8 16v you'd need to buy new pistons to reliably lower the compression ratio... That would end up costing just as much.

If I could go back and re-do buying my Corrado I would have held out and got a bit more cash together and bought a decent one that didn't break every 5 mins at first. Saved the money I have spent on repairing it and purchased upgrades to make it better...