Sign in to follow this  
Will

Bilstein query....

Finally got hold of a decent VR6 at the weekend. Totally standard, apart from the suspension.

It had bilstein springs/shocks fitted at the end of last year only I can't work out which there are, Sprintline/Streetline etc. No luck with finding a Bilstein UK contact so does anyone know how to tell the difference? They are Yellow shocks and Red springs as I'm sure most bilstein's are.

The ride's pretty harsh and the front spoiler catches the occasional speed bump so I was thinking of raising the ride height with longer, or even standard springs. Is this a bad idea?

I've heard Bilstein's have a stiffness adjustment built in but is this only certain types?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

ECP are the agents for Bilstein in the UK.

The dampers are just a bit too stiff in my experience, but the springs (Terra) are allegedly the same rate as standard - only lowered.

Can't comment on their standard spec items as I've not tried them.

The oe spec ones, are black, I had these 3000 miles ago and are great. Only harsh while bedding in, then really comfortable. If you tracking is out then the ride will be poor.

Ok that's great, I'll have look at some prices for the oe dampers. Are there any springs that lower around 20/25mm rather than 40? I've seen some threads recommending Eibach springs, but will they be ok with the oe dampers.....

Cheers

mate I'm going to have to warn you, I've got a very sore d1ck now. These girls are just so demanding.

Yeah the yellow shocks are the Sprintline kit - Expensive!

Eibach pro-kit springs(30mm) are designed to be used with standard shocks(says so on their website) - must use good

quality ones though, e.g. Bilstein 'GAS'.

Bilstein part number is usually VNE**** for those type of OE shocks.

cheers