Johnny H

Had the Corrado on the Diagnostic today. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

This is what mines looks like.

Forgot to get the part number was trying to do it as fast as i could could got really busy day today.

Looks like the cylinder head has been off & changed. Presume thats somewhere in the history of the car. That grey connector is not standard for the Corrado.

You'll have to take the new sensor back with the old sensor part number that is fitted and ask for that part cos obviously as you've found out, the new part you have won't connect.

Nightmare.

Nothing is ever easy.

There always something wrong with it.

The joys of having a Corrado lol

That looks like a mk4 golf plug... Maybe someone wired in a mk4 plug for the mk4 sensor? Is the mk4 sensor cheaper? And theres a plastic rocker cover... Isnt that from mk4 aswell

That looks like a mk4 golf plug... Maybe someone wired in a mk4 plug for the mk4 sensor? Is the mk4 sensor cheaper? And theres a plastic rocker cover... Isnt that from mk4 aswell

Even the securing bolt position is different on the head which why I've said its not the original cylinder head. The electrical connector is Mk4 era.

Not a nightmare, just get the part number off the one fitted, it may be 028 907 319B when you get there but DO check it physically before rushing off to the parts department.

I've been out and had a look and taken more pics and taken part numbers, so here we go:-

Sensor:- 06A905161A

Switch that goes on the sensor:- 1J0973723G

And here are some more pics:- (4th pic old on left and new on right)

06A 905 161A is a valid part number.

Looks like at some stage a Sharan 1996 - 2000 or Transporter 1998 - 1998 VR6 2.8ltr cylinder head has been fitted.

06A 905 161A is a valid part number.

Looks like at some stage a Sharan 1996 - 2000 or Transporter 1998 - 1998 VR6 2.8ltr cylinder head has been fitted.

Why would someone do that??

Will try and change them over tomorrow.

Still don't think it will fix the reason it cuts out when it get hot tho.

Still no idea why it does that?

Thanks for all your input so far guys

Why change the head? Not in the paperwork with the car's history?

Corroded head / head gasket. Used to be a failure in early days, maybe the original head had gone to far to skim it out, so one came off a scrap engine because of the cost of a new one. Who knows but it wasn't on when it left the factory.

But if the engine was replaced also, its only a 2.8ltr engine possibly. At the back of the engine if its still visible, it will either be stamped ABV (2.9) or AAA (2.8 ).

Its on a rusty top surface on the cast engine block under the Auxiliary Water Pump. May need some thin oil or WD40 to enhance it. Its only lightly stamped into the metal.

Why change the head? Not in the paperwork with the car's history?

Corroded head / head gasket. Used to be a failure in early days, maybe the original head had gone to far to skim it out, so one came off a scrap engine because of the cost of a new one. Who knows but it wasn't on when it left the factory.

But if the engine was replaced also, its only a 2.8ltr engine possibly. At the back of the engine if its still visible, it will either be stamped ABV (2.9) or AAA (2.8 ).

Its on a rusty top surface on the cast engine block under the Auxiliary Water Pump. May need some thin oil or WD40 to enhance it. Its only lightly stamped into the metal.

I'll have to have a look cause it has had a new engine before I got it.

Hope it's not a 2.8

If I can't see the code is there anther way of telling??

Edited by Johnny H

It may be still there on the right side vertical face of the cam cover by the MAF behind the two fuel pipes. A white sticker with the engine code & serial number. I assumed with age its come off which is why I pointed you to the back left side of the engine block. Can't remember if the cylinder block is cast with 2.8 or 2.9 on it. Somebody will pipe up but I think its on the back face above the sump pan level or round the front by the oil cooler.

Get a screen shot of the VCDS engine Controller screen and post. But I suspect the ECU is the original.

When I got it they said when it was fitted with a brand new engine only 10k ago which cost over 4k all in,

But it was fitted befor the guy I brought it of got the car.

Really hope it a 2.9.

What's a VCDS?? (sorry for being think mate )

---------- Post added at 9:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:48 PM ----------

Just looked through my emails and it does say in one it's was fitted with a Brand New VR6 2.9 Engine.

All I can say is " it better be"

VCDS is VAGCOM's new product name. Due to VAG Germany (ie VW etc.) enforcing their corporate name being poached. VagCom Diagnostic System.

Well at least once you know, you will at least be able order the right part first time round at the VW dealers :)

So has the logbook been changed? The highest engine number for a Corrado production at the end in June 1995 was around ABV018500.

Pretty busy Sunday eh? :)

It's been a long one :)

All other part I got from the reg ie coil pack spark plugs.

Will find out tomorrow for sure

I've had a good look for a code and can't find anything but i found out that the head is off a 2.8 (021 103 373 E) but everything else is right for the year of car.

Can you put a 2.8 head on a 2.9 block?? and why would you do it??

All i have to do is check the part number before ordering it lol.