Critical_Mass

Recommend me a wheel wax!

Hi all,

Ive just ordered a new set of rims, i went for a set of 16 x 7 Cades Eros wheels and im obviously wanting to keep them in good condition. Ive had my current set of rims more or less ruined by brake dust. The EBC greenstuff pads that were responsible have now gone (thankfully) but still want to protect from dirt and break dust etc.

So my question is, can anyone recommend me a wheel wax that actually protects. Tried products like muc off in the past and they are p00p.

I dont mind a bit of hard work so something in a tub as opposed to a spray as i think they'll be more durable.

Fire away.....Go! :lol:

Edited by Critical_Mass

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/poorboys-wheel-sealant/prod_9.html

Apply a couple of layers every month or so and the brake dust literally rinses off with a hose.

Bit of a pain to apply because it's a wax, but it's soft enough not to cause major issues.

Oh, and buy from there as they are local Huddersfield lads.. Support local business! :)

Enthusiast - Does the poorboys wheel wax differ that much to the body wax. I have poor boys body wax - just wondering how that wheel wax differs to it. i guess the temperature tolerance is higher on the wheel wax.

Karl - The £30 wheel wax, is it worth double the price of the other stuff?

Enthusiast - Does the poorboys wheel wax differ that much to the body wax. I have poor boys body wax - just wondering how that wheel wax differs to it. i guess the temperature tolerance is higher on the wheel wax.

I've never tried the Poorboys wax, only Collinite 467s and Dodo juice blue velvet.

It's much softer then normal body wax, more of a paste. It's applied the same, put it on, rub it in then buff it off, once buffed it leaves more of a layer than body wax and a beautiful shine.

Hope that helps.

I wouldnt say the body wax was hard, its reasonably soft and easy to apply but i wouldnt say it was a paste.

Cheers dude. :)

Chris those speedlines look awesome!! 8)

Im getting the feeling im going to have too much choice :lol:

Edited by Critical_Mass

its not really a wax but a kinda coating that just repells everything, i have done my rx's with it and all i have to do is get the hose pipe on the wheels, and the dirt/brake dust just comes off with no effort at all. But if you dont wanna pay that then the chemical guys stuff is very very good and much better than rim wax.

its not really a wax but a kinda coating that just repells everything, i have done my rx's with it and all i have to do is get the hose pipe on the wheels, and the dirt/brake dust just comes off with no effort at all. But if you dont wanna pay that then the chemical guys stuff is very very good and much better than rim wax.

Do you just apply with a cloth with that. How often do you have to apply it and how long would one tub last? I dont mind spending £30 on a tub if it really does protect that well and the tub lasts long enough.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Cheers Phil ill bear that in mind. :D

that tub only contains 15ml mate, but go onto you tube or detailing world and you will see how good it is, one coating will last at least 9 months until it starts to break down.

Second for Gtechniq C5 you won't beat it, sounds expensive for the amount you get, but one application will last easy 12 months.

Get it on whilst your wheels are still new, and they will stay that way. No need for expensive wheel cleaners either, soapy water does the job.

Problem with waxes is that they don't like high temps and brake dust has a tendency to burn through wax.

Second for Gtechniq C5 you won't beat it, sounds expensive for the amount you get, but one application will last easy 12 months.

Get it on whilst your wheels are still new, and they will stay that way. No need for expensive wheel cleaners either, soapy water does the job.

Problem with waxes is that they don't like high temps and brake dust has a tendency to burn through wax.

I used to use Nattys wheel wax and tbh thought it was decent as it gave the wheels a nice shine too, lasted ok but wheels still needed a decent clean after a month or so.

Now i only use G-techniq and even after a few months i only jet wash the wheels to remove all the dirt! I'd strongly recommend using Iron-X to fully decontaminate the wheels before you use G-techniq for the best results.

Not the best quality video, but thats as much as the wheels need cleaning.

I think you guys have convinced me. If the gtechnics lasts 9-12 months and only needs jetwashing, i think its worth spending the £30 on it - will only be £30 a year so hardly anything really. Will check out the vids.