diarmaid16

Crack Pipe

I need to replace mine.

I was just wondering has anyone paid to get it replaced and how much the labour cost?

Thanks

Diarmaid

Hi there have you thought about giving this a go yourself? Is this for a vr6 ?

Engine will need supporting at the bottom, bumper off and slam panel off. Not sure if the radiator needs to be taken off aswell to get to it. Bumper bolts may be hard to get off. You could take it to a garage to loosen the bumper bolts first

If bumper bolts are corroded well worth getting some new ones from the dealers.

Edited by VWVW

I'm thinking about it but just worried something goes wrong that needs it to be brought to a garage. No second car either.

I've done searches on here and it looks like something I can do.

Just worried about bolts breaking I suppose!

Not hard at all, but time consuming because of access. I would allow a day for it. As above bumper and slam panel off, lift radiator out of the way (you can remove if you want to back flush it) drain the coolant three allen bolts for the thermostat housing cover, (be careful not to lose the third one (shortest) in the gearbox!) Pull this off so the crack pipe is exposed. Carefully remove the cvrakc pipe, you will find it is jammed pretty solid into the other side of the engine. Clean up the opening in the engine for the crack pipe with emery cloth, you'll need some coarse cloth to start with. Refit and flush the cooling system several times with water. Then flush with your choice of rad flush (best to fill and run for around 50 miles or so). Drain and refill with coolant and deionised water. You'll notice a much more efficient cooling system. Dont shortcut the flushing like i did as you'll end up with the coolant going cloudy in no time and you'll need to drain and flush again. Best of luck.

I'm told you can do it without getting the bumper off but it's a pain regardless. I was quoted a couple of hours for a fully-equipped shop but given the mess they made by doing it in a hurry I'd rather have given it a go myself!

Stone

Well she's up on axle stands now! Have 3 of the bumper bolts out but the last one is very slow to come out. I sprayed about a litre of WD40 on it and i'll tackle it again tomorrow. Praying it doesn't break.

Ya, I don't like leaving my cars with garages. They don't treat them like I do!

Thanks for the info fla. I probably wouldn't have gone to that much bother with the coolant but i'll give it a go.

Diarmaid

Anyone have the part number for the four bumper bolts as I'd like to replace them?

Edited by diarmaid16