Sign in to follow this  
Roadie

Suggestions please

Hi all,

what would you suggest? I have installed:

Headunit - basic Kenwood CD player (Lost the face of my Kenwood KDC-M7024) :cry:

Dash - not used

Door - origional (need replacing)

Tweeters - JBL (possibly blown)

Crossovers - JBL

Rear seat side panels - JBL 6x9 (previous owner)

boot - Vibe AC10 bass box 600 watt 10" (brought from previous car)

Head unit rear runs 6x9, front runs door speaker/tweeter and sub out to the Vibe. The front sounds terrible so I keep it low, 6x9 are good but drown out the box in the boot. Keep it simple I'm no Guru :) but would appreciate some suggestions.

Hmmm, maybe I asked the wrong question :(

To all you people who get into there cars and at a touch of a button have there own orchestra riding with them. I would realy like to have a sweet sounding stereo but I get confused on all the choices, as above you see what I've got but would like to know what to do next. Replace the front speakers.. with what? Do I amp them or leave running from the head set. I've seen a set of component 160W speakers with a 200W amp but this seems odd to me, how can you pump 200W into 160W speakers?? does this not blow them you see my predicament. Suggestions on what or where I go from here.

Hmmm, maybe I asked the wrong question :(

To all you people who get into there cars and at a touch of a button have there own orchestra riding with them. I would realy like to have a sweet sounding stereo but I get confused on all the choices, as above you see what I've got but would like to know what to do next.

TBH I've been out of the ICE game for too long, so have no idea whats about nowa days :(

Replace the front speakers.. with what? Do I amp them or leave running from the head set. I've seen a set of component 160W speakers with a 200W amp but this seems odd to me, how can you pump 200W into 160W speakers?? does this not blow them you see my predicament. Suggestions on what or where I go from here.

The amp should always be of a higher rating than the speakers, otherwise you will damage the amp, it allows you to have flexability in the power, rather than the amp struggling (and dieing)

I always used to go for better quality rears (6x9s) than front, and then have components in the dash as well as in the door builds.

The 6x9s should drown out the sub, they should compliment each other. You need to filter the 6x9s with a cross over, either passive or active (passive = cap, active = filtered at amp*), I'd whack (technical term) a cap on the feed to the 6x9s, and then use the filter on the amp for the sub.

The proper way to set the sub and 6x9s up is to turn the sub up, above the level of the 6x9s, then turn it down until it is just unaudible, then give it a little turn up, this way the sub is at the right level for proper listening, rather than drowning out the vocals etc. Remember, they are spose to intergrate with each other, not compete against each other.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Dave

*for arguements sake this is the best way to describe them

I see your in London mate, if you wanna come down to the wandsworth halfords i can get you a nice 15% discount and one of the guys that works on ripspeed with me is an audio guru, he will be able to choose you a nice setup!! Weve got a nice selection of audio equipment and if we aint got it we CAN get it, no probs.

If it were me, I'd concentrate on the front. Get some decent door builds in there, such as Audioscape's rather excellent ones and add to those some 6" Focal components. If you want good stereo imaging and the best sound quality, that's the way to go. That's what I'll be doing at some point as I'm more interested in a focused sound than giving all the McDonald's carpark "bling-bling" (or "Ming-Ming" looking at half of em) kids a free disco.

For bass, a small 1 cu foot sealed cabinet with a JL audio 10" sealed driver is plenty, depends what you're after.

For amping, a nice well proven 4 x 100W RMS amp is plenty. I used to really like the sound of the Alpine V12 amps, not sure if they still make them tho.

For the rear speakers, I use 8" Bass/mid drivers and 1" silk dome tweeters which gives a nice, but not exactly a true stereo sound.

K

I used to really like the sound of the Alpine V12 amps, not sure if they still make them tho.

exactly what I had in my old system powering my Rockford and 6x9s, as I said, I've been out of the game for a bit now ;)

Thanks all it gives me a starting point. The audioscape door panels look realy nice but may have to wait till I have the funds to get them with speakers and amp. Will let you know how i get on.