skid

Where to buy VCDS cable?

I managed to get a copy of vcds on my laptop but i need an OB2 cable.

Looking on the net for one i see so many varing prices and read posts on here that some only read certain things etc etc.

Any recommendatios on which cable to buy and from where with out spending a fortune?

You would need to purchase a genuine ross-tech cable, the licence for VCDS is held in the dongle, so will work will all past / present / future versions of the software.... :)

you can buy 3rd party cables, but you will be restricted to using old versions of VAG-COM...

best to stump up the cash, go genuine to future proof yourself, ive made saved money 10x over over the years.. total life-saver...

If you want the full works Im afriad not. I only just got one, (2nd hand) and I should have bought one years ago. The older stuff and ebay leads are fine for reading faults though.

I might do, will have a look. For the C I bought one of those hand held code readers a while ago and just used that to regularly scan it. Saves lugging a computer about.

Cool, I got Boyner to read mine over the weekend.

He istalled the software and i thought i only needed the cable to get it to work, little did i know the cable contains more than wires...lol.

I will have to get the VR re, done in the next few days once i fit a couple of new sensors.

Might be free on Sat if you want help reading faults, I need to check mine is working as I got a new computer from work and had a few little teething problems with the old one.

Looks very much like the one my friend used on mine, but to be honest just phone them, i found them very helpful.

---------- Post added at 8:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:16 AM ----------

Sounds like a plan Greame, i think i am free in the afternoon.

Just hope i get my sensors from VW today!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but is this the one to buy for a '93/L VR6?

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

thanks!

If you are going to spend that much, it may be wiser to future proof for little more. Yes it will work on the Corrado as you know from what I did at the Yorkshire meeting in Sept'2010.

But if say you stick with the VAG marque in the future, you will find it won't work with CANBUS VAG group cars. My new Scirocco is totally CAN BUS and the above lead is useless for it.

Features:

Works with most cars using a single K-Line, K+L, or dual K-Lines for diagnostics. (Does not work with some 2003+ cars using CAN for diagnostics.)

This the one I use but in Serial Comms form because of the laptop and other things. Its USB equivalent is http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html It will avoid spending twice and any VAG model is then accessible. Plus the re-sale value is there to a modern VAG enthusiast.