Tom Thorpe

Will a faulty thermostat radically affect the 2ltr 16v's fuel consumption?

Hi,

I recently bought a 1993 2ltr 16v Corrado and its averaging around 15mpg. I believe the thermostat is faulty, could this be the cause of such low fuel consumption or could something else need replacing?

Cheers

Tom

Could it be a cold start injector ? The one on the right hand side of the engine away from all the others , do you mind me asking the start of the reg i have a feeling your car could be my old one lol

Did you used to own this one then? I must of been three years ago if so as thats how long the previous owner had it for. :-)

---------- Post added at 2:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:14 PM ----------

I'll have a look mate, I'm still not too clued up on the mechanics of the engine but I'm planning to learn.

Thanks

It wont help but shouldnt affect it so much as to reduce efficiency as much as your seeing. So long as your oil temp gets above 70 iirc, then it should run as intended. Not entirely sure how it switches over from cold to warm map, as the ECU is pretty primative, but I'm sure someone could point that out. Obviously the longer it takes to warm up, the longer your running rich.

Ahh no then my old one was l892 but i just thought it might have been as my old one is doing the rounds now and has just gone off ebay so thought it might of been the one

Ahh shame, its nice to know who's got your old cars. Thanks everyone for replying Ive noticed that the temp gage doesn't always work but the mpg seems to be terrible both when its working and when it isn't. I'm having a friend round at the weekend to have a look at it and see if he can sort it. Fingers crossed.