Mike16v

Another sunroof problem...

I know there are millions of sunroof threads, but...

I've just replaced a broken sunroof motor - that now works fine. The slide on the passengers side is broken though, so the roof won't close properly on one side. I've read through loads of threads showing how to fix it but can't see how to shut it while I sort out repairing it.

Does anybody know how to close it temporarily while I find the replacement parts to do the job properly? Unfortunately, I don't have a garage to keep it out of the rain.

If anybody has a suggestion where the best place to get the replacement slider, that would be appreciated as well!

Might be a bit of an obvious question, but have you tried winding it in on the allen key? You can manipulate it a bit more gently than with the motor so it may be a bit easier if the slides are sticking.

As above use the allen key to close manualy, if it starts to twist get someone to gently push on the broken side while you are winding it shut .

A long time ago, but I feel that I could kick in a comment on this for future use.

Mine just broke down in the same menner.

What happened ti mine is that out of the 6 mechanical part sets that vw sell, the left side middle one etka page 182-20, part 26, part no. 1H0 898 014A for left side, broke off the tip. And on the inner side of thet betal tip is the wire...

So, the wirepull/push works, but the mech does not follow, and the sunroof closes at the right side, but get's stuck in a very nasty angle on the left side. So don't do that.

What you can do to drive (in the rain), while you get the part, is to wind it back (with electrical button) a bit at a time, followed by gently pushing with a small screwdriver on the tap in the middle of the metal part from which the tip broke off. Repeat that a few times, and the sunroof closes just fine.

I tried to glue it, to weld it etc, but it broke right off again, so new parts is a must.

It appears that a Mk. 1 Octavia mech may, just may, fit. I did not try that yet, as new parts is now in my hand ;)

Hope it helps when it happens to you guys.

Cheers,

Redfox.