j77all

20L16v keeps cutting out and suffers from what feels like fuel starvation ( help!)

My car did this the once about a month ago although it was a concern at the time it started fine the following morning and did not reoccur till Tuesday this week.It was worse yesterday and again today and about an hour ago when I took it for a run though not as bed as yesterday untill that is me nopt having a massive mechanical know how put 250ml of red X in and this made the car worse. All useful help welcome.Thankyou

Friday morning ! started fine ran well with no signes of the proplems for approx 2 mile then it it happened again but even more fuel starvation car abbandond as it stop.

Okay we have had a u turn on the problem we now beleive its over fueling its running very very rich think its lambda sensor my self but a vw tech mate of mine who very kindley spent some time om it on sat morning thot it was the air metering were the plunger was but after cleaning and ajusting still the same

Edited by j77all
new news

Red-x making it worse is probably just coincidence. Start off with the cheap and easy stuff. Replace ECU and fuel pump relays, and go from there. :D

Ecu relay is 30 iirc, fuel pump will be either 67,80, or 167 dependant on time of manufacture. :smug:

S exactly like what mine used to do ! If it hapens again as bad as it sounds next time it happens start the car and put ypur foot flat to the floor and rev til it tiks over by its self .

My old valver used to do this ever once in a while and i could never find out what it was , when i sold it i spoke to the new owner and it turned out it was a knackers cold start valve so maybe this is your problem