Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

displacement Increase

probably been asked before but couldn't find it, and there maybe fresh ideas out there,

subject says it all my engine is the standard G60 1.8 want to increase this, whats better 1.9 or 2.0 have seen many people saying 2.0 is not good for the engine as it leaves the case walls to thin, i will be using nitrous :twisted: on the car so want to rebuild the engine anyway for safety, prices and places to go would be helpfull to :lol:

G-Man (Darren from G-Werks) offers a set of 83mm pistons which, by all accounts, are very good and gives a capacity increase of just under 1900 (1878 I think? I'll probably be corrected in just a mo! ;) ) you just need to get your block re-bored and then put in new bearings etc...

I went for a 1940cc setup from 16VG60 (JMRacing - John Mitchell) which uses a different crank and 83mm pistons to get the extra CCs... 8) I sent my block to John, and then got a complete balanced, lightened 1940cc block back a bit later on.... 8) It would have been based around my original PG block, but that was found to have become damaged due to it's 250K miles so I've now got a 1H block (out of a Golf Rallye G60)

2.0 on a standard block NEEDS a different crank if you want to use the PG block. If you try and do it with the original crank, you're looking at 85.9mm pistons which will leave so little metal between the cylinders that you'll probably end up with either porus walls or cracks between 2 and 3... :? The block also needs some machining doing as otherwise the oil injectors (which spray oil onto the bottom of the crowns of the pistons to keep 'em cool) catch on the crank and make a bit of a mess...

There are people who offer a 2.0 block complete (TSR for example) which is based around a long stroke block for comparitively not a lot of money, however, IMO these blocks are not suited to the character of the G60 engine with a stoke length more suited to a diesel engine causing a slightly strange revving characteristic... shaking2:

Stealth used to offer a 2liter conversion based around the standard PG block which is reported to be VERY good (and knowing the work that the guys do there, I can well believe it! ;) ) but it's not cheap...

Hope this helps... 8)

you get a low compression 2.0 16v?!? :-P

Dunno mate, you'd have to have a word with someone who's done it, or an engine builder who has experience with these blocks...

Aposegil may also be worth having a word with as he's messed about with one in a big way and had it ready to turbo/supercharge... 8)

getting the price of the stealth conversion, how much was you conversion henry, if you don't mind

boo stealth don't do it any more, G-man if your looking can you pm me the price of the 1.9 conversion

i may sound stupid here,what about the mk3 gti 2.0 8v block? :oops:

obviously the compression would need lowering somehow,but you can pick one up for little money.

neil.

thinking im gonna look an idiot 8)