Jim Bowen

VR6 Rad fans upgrade?

Heard some slim fans mentioned before.

Has anyone got any details of this fan upgrade?

My standard ones are old looking and the plastic guides snapped when i tried to pick them up without knowing i was standing on them :lol:

People generally only switch to slimline fans when the stock ones get in the way of engine conversions.

What's wrong with yours? The stock fans system is massively over engineered and does not struggle to cool a well maintained engine at all.

just fancied tidying it up a bit and thought the slim ones would give me more room in the bay, probably me doing unnessary stuff again tbh

Just get the metal structure around the fan sand blasted and powder coated and it will look like new again. Think the plastic guides are 8 pounds each from the dealer you will need two.

I wouldn't bother with the slims unless there's a real need. Having said that, the slims do shave quite a few KG off the nose weight ;)

the fan ring guides are now absolete when i asked at the dealers, I had to purchase from germany after i had my cowel sand blasted and powder coated.

have got a sand blaster so was going to blast the metal bit anyway, how important are those plastic guide rings?

cant remember how important those guides were beeen a while since I fitted one. I remember it needed to come off before the fan motors can be taken off so must play some part in keeping those fan motors in place ? My guides were a a pain to take out as they use a plastic pin to secure it in place in the first place and they easily break. Hence the reason I had to get a new one before.

You can gurantee they will fall apart on removal... very brittle going hot/ cold / hot / cold etc... over a long period of time...

they dont secure the fans in place, i always thought it was to aid the air flow with the fans.

Slims are good got them on mine incase i ever go turbo or charged, slightly less noisey than standard. Leave if yours are alright though