vw_john

Coilover Problems

My C has some of the bargain coilovers on it, (saving for some decent ones)

however for the time being, I have to deal with the sh*tty ones.

my problem is that no matter how high or low I have the coilovers wound it has no suspension, the car raises and lowers but feels like its resting on the bump stops =/.

What is the problem?

Cheers in advance for the advise.

You say the car raises and lowers? If thats the case they can't be resting on the bump stops, they're probably just ridiculously hard!

well I have just gone out and lowered them some more, figured I may as well as they're hard as nails anyway.they haven't gone much lower, and I just looked at an old set of the same kind, and they have no bump stops!! and were working fine on my old golf before I took them off. Should I remove them? They're about 3 inches long...

As far as i'm aware all suspension set ups should have bump stops so i wouldn't remove them. I'm not sure what coilovers you have but if they are sitting on the bumpstops then you must have gone lower than they were designed for.

I wouldn't say it was far off!

Looks pretty sweet though!

Edited by lewvw
Compliments cost nothing

update: just cut the bump stops in half, we now have some travel and a more comfortable ride!! however, I'm still hitting the bump stops! lol

Well at least you're saving for better ones, and if makes you feel better i've got £450 weitecs and although they don't hit the bump stops they're pretty hard!

In hindsight i'd have spent a bit more for KW's.

That kinda does make me feel better! haha! Also tells me to save for KW's not Weitecs.

Its not so much the uncomfortable ride that bothers me, my 21 year old spine is still good for a few years, its the rattles and squeaks that come with it!

Driving me crazy trying to find them!

Yeah I think with suspension as much as anything you really do get what you pay for!