joebloggsVR69

Overhauling 288mm calipers - what paste to use?

I bought some 288mm calipers recently, and plan to strip them down and replace the seals.

Am I correct in thinking that the piston needs to be lubricated with some fancy paste?

ETKA lists these 2:

G 052 150 A2 - lithium grease paste

G 000 650 - lubricating paste

Do I need them both? Are there any alternatives to the VW stuff, as it's around £50 for the 2 tubes!

Thanks

Edited by joebloggsVR69
Fixed spelling mistake in title!

i just used copper slip on the carrier sliding pins, ready to be shot down but didn't believe there was anything special required when rebuilding them.

use a football pump and knackered hose to eject the piston by the way.

Yeah, I thought copper grease would be fine for the pins, too..

And surely some regular lithium grease from Halfrauds would be fine for the piston, unless anyone knows a reason against..? :)

Pagid sell a tube of special grease for this purpose, i have had some in my tool box for years and still plenty left as you only need a smear

i got my last tube from GSF and it was only a few quid

i soaked the seals in brake fluid for about an hour before fitting. Also lubed the pistons with the same fluid. As above, copper grease for the slider pins. Thats it.

realy copper slip shoundnt be used on moving parts like the sliders as it is mildly abrasive so over many many movements it can cause wear on items.

far better off to get some of this

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Saab_9-3_2.0_2001/p/Accessories/Car-Maintenance/Maintenance-Fluids-and-Greases/Grease/?526770250&0&cc5_150

Ah, excellent, I'll get some of that! :)

sorry, lithium grease on the sliders copper on the bolts, but that stuff looks good swampy. As an aside, would it be suitable for the sunroof mech as it claims not to collect dirt?