Andy 16v

Driver's door wont open - HELP!

Evening all!

I repaired my door handle with a kit from Dave last week and the handle was working perfect since. Now, it may be purely coincidental but last night I tried to unlock the door and the central locking instantly locked the door again. I can get in through the passenger side but I cannot open the drivers door from inside or outside the car.

When I turn the key it sounds like the pump is operating the pump as it should but it's obviously not unlocking the door. Is there anything I can do to get the door open?

Many thanks, one angry Corrado owner :(

I assume you've tried pulling the door pin up? What happens to the pin? Does it rise up or does it refuse to move?

The pin rises up as it should when I operate the key, but it slowly drops down a touch. I've got the door card half off and I've tried opening it mechanically with no joy.

Have you had the window open since you took the handle off? The reason I ask is that if you haven't clipped the central locking cable back into its place in the door frame then dropping the window can mangle the cable - when mine was shorted internally it behaved just like yours, and would also randomly lock as I drove along!

If it is the central locking cable falsely sending a 'lock the door now' signal, then disconnecting the battery should stop it from re-locking itself. If that works then you can cut the cable off at the door handle (then unplug the other end and chuck the remains) - all you lose is the hold-key-in-lock-to-shut-windows function.

Stone

Cheers for the replies Gents; a cup of tea and five minutes I'll be back out there full of enthusiasm!

and back on here 20 mins later after you cant get it open??

Thanks Stone; I'll look into that also!

---------- Post added at 8:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:30 PM ----------

and back on here 20 mins later after you cant get it open??

I'll retire 'til the weekend ;)

i'm just very very surprised that a bloke from Liverpool cant break into a car?? thought that was 2nd nature LOL

i'm just very very surprised that a bloke from Liverpool cant break into a car?? thought that was 2nd nature LOL

Sorry, I'd mis-read this thread. Thought he was inside it...

We normally just burst the windows and we're away ;)

As much as I'd love to attack it with a hammer I've not long had it resprayed so it's not an option.