JonnyG60

Top mount scoring on spring plate. Got pictures.

Hello everyone,

Having a problem with my front struts on 92 G60.

When i turn almost full lock the front top mounts creak and moan and then when i drive straight again it pulls to the side i turned to.

I replaced the top mounts and could see there were scoring marks on the top plates of the bilstein shocks and springs where the metal plate of the top mount had been rubbing. Anyway, replace the top mounts and it was fine for a mile long drive then next time i drove it, i was back to square one...

Anyone have any ideas why this is?

I spoke to Darren not too long ago who mentioned maybe I needed mk3 golf top mounts but I'm sure they are the same as corrado ones looking at the part numbers.

This is the vagcat diagram, and I'm sure ive not missed anything out or lost anything!

http://www.vagcat.com/p/B076/102000.png

an actual picture of your top spring plate might clear this up, the bearing in the mount should provide the movement, so it should sit on the top of the spring plate and only the bearing centre, no other part of the underside of the mounting

Okay got pictures now.

Clearly the two metal plates shouldnt be touching but I cant see what is meant to lift the top mount up?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59981[/ATTACH]

Top plate:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59977[/ATTACH]

Bottom of mount:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59973[/ATTACH]

I think that plate is upside down but there is no spring stop... it's been a while since i've seen the old style top mounts but they shouldn't be rubbing like that!

I wondered that but it would still tough the top mount plate. Spring stop?

Just managed to read part number of the spring plate 357412341A.... VAGCAT says G60 shouldnt have the A after. Thinking these ones are for VR6.

EDIT: [ATTACH=CONFIG]59989[/ATTACH]

This is part number 357412341. It's more coned and taller. Is the top of the cone meant to touch the bearing in the middle of top mount and then its all good?

Thank you for help!

Edited by JonnyG60

Looks like you have a late spring plate and early top mount.

---------- Post added at 3:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:04 PM ----------

Can just about see them here

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

This pic is early plates and mounts, and late plates and mounts (separate Bearing)

DSC00196.jpg

Although i remember the early ones being a large diameter than the lates, you may be better off getting late top mounts

Late plate on a spring with small diameter top coil

DSC00252.jpg

Early

pre95struct.jpg

Late

95onstruct.jpg

3Corsameal that's awesome! Thank you, made it a lot clear.

I ordered the top mounts from VWspares and i guess they just off one type then. But i can't find a late top mount and plate on VagCat, they all seem to be the same for the G60.

Or should i go for these http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=420 Listed as VR6 and 1995 2.0 & rep part number 357412331A?

alot of people don't recommend the non genuine VW top mounts, heard the bearing can wear out quickly.

I don't want to tell you the wrong thing and you buy aload of bits, as i had lots of bother doing my suspension, all to do with the top mounts, thats why i ended up buying all the types of plate and all the mounts and then springs to suit each setup. The real confusing thing for me was i couldn't get a true -40mm drop, it was more like -90mm on the front. I ended up running it for a year or so with the suspension like that, then decided to get coilovers so i could alter the height.

i have a set of late top mounts and bearings that i've taken off my car recently. They spin freely etc and not much wrong with them, but i already have new ones anyway.

If you wanted to try my 2nd hand bits, i would be happy to post them if you pay the postage. I don't want anything for the parts as you may only want them to trial fit etc

Yh looks like the later ones would make in run lower.

That would be really kind if you could post them to my uni address, I shall PM you. I have to drive 300 miles from Guildford to Durham tomorrow, so will have to drive it as it was on there before. I figure it must have lasted like that quite a while anyway.

Do you have the part numbers as I may try my luck with the dealers now?