larceny fink

Radio reception

Hi, a common issue this I gather.

Got VR6 5-6 weeks ago and radio reception worked but bit weak really. Gave up the ghost shortly afterwards. Tried new mast (from my mk2) and today tied different base from a mk3 gti I am about to break/sell. Still nowt. I also fitted a halfords amplifier behind head unit and wired it to where the vw amp was connected - this looked a bit ropey so I removed it.

Starting to suspect head unit is faulty now - Sony Xplod that came with car. Going to replace this as I need one that does Iphone charging etc and this only has mp3 lead.

The base is the one where there is not a separate wire to power amplifier although it is amplified (through co-ax I presume). Base on car looks fine inside - better than mk3 one really.

I have continuity to centre core and outer sheath from head unit end of co-ax to aerial base.

Did not have a gasket seal on base but fitted a new one of those when I was swapping bases about.

Any ideas??