akacheesy

H4 HID's

Has anyone got any tips on how to fit HID's? I've just ordered an H4 kit but I'm concerned about how the additional main beam spots, H3 will work? Do I need another kit for them?

Help!!

Yes, if you want HIDs in your spots, you'd need an H3 kit as well. Good luck with getting a half-decent beam pattern with the standard headlights and HIDs btw. I tried it and the results were chuffing awful. The same kit worked surprisingly well in a Mk2 GTi. If you simply want more light, you're better off with an uprated loom and decent bulbs like the Philips Xtreme waddya call 'ems ime. Also lots of noise about MoTs cracking down on aftermarket HID kits about.

Yeah, heard that about the MOT's. Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle now. I may try some Osram Nightbreakers. I have an uprated loom with some 100/80w blue bulbs off flea-bay so not sure how great they are, not exactly massively bright but certainly better than standard bulbs with the original wiring.

What do you mean about the beam then? Do they just shine all over the shop? lol

The Phillips ones come highly recommended from other people on here...

I will install mine in next few days and try and get some comparisons !

I've got an uprated loom, but not yet fitted them... will decide if I do after fitting these new bulbs :)

I got an HID dip kit fitted at Stealth a couple of years ago and it works brilliantly. Thoroughly recommend it. Vast improvement over uprated loom.

New MOT regs are not a major problem - just swap bulbs for the test.

New MOT regs are not a major problem - just swap bulbs for the test.

For once there's actually a sensible purpose behind the new rule - HIDs fitted to light units designed for halogens give a beam pattern that is too bright immediately in front of you (giving the illusion of much greater light output and damaging your night vision) and too dark at a distance, while creating excessive glare which dazzles oncoming drivers. They are dangerous and using them on public roads is irresponsible, illegal and will void your insurance.

If you don't believe me, listen to Auto Express's report, which includes a statement from the Department for Transport.

Note that there's absolutely nothing wrong with retrofit projector headlamps - but HID lamps fitted to an H4 base are simply a cynical exercise in taking your money. Don't buy them.

Stone

I don't have any such problems with mine.

Beams are focussed correctly, I have excellent vision at near, mid and far distance, far superior to standard lights even when an uprated loom was used (or is it just an illusion....?), the car passed its MOT in late January and I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic.

I am not using 'blue' bulbs and the kit didn't cost anywhere near 300 quid.

Personally i would go with good quality bulbs driven by relays, If my memory has not let me down you can go to about 100 watts without to much trouble legally,or creating to much heat and damaging the light unit.

I can understand about problems with night vision i used to have a car with 4 x 100 watt spotlights which came on with main beam. When you went to dipped beam it was like turning the lights out.

Edited by Mr Edd
missed a bit about heat