Human Joist

Stereo advice

Hi guys. Am looking for the right stereo in my corrado vr6. I want something that looks a little retro and not overly flashy and in keeping with age of car. But most important is that it sits flush and does not stick proud which seems the most common problem. I cant be the only one this specific so was hoping someone had come a cross this before.

If your looking for something retro, maybe going back to a cassette player is the way forward?

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category_m-radio-cassette_c-2482.htm

and then for most audio player compatibility you could get one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CASSETTE-ADAPTER-3-5MM-AUX-CABLE-IPOD-IPHONE-/150600756001?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits&hash=item2310812b21

I'd suggest either a Becker or Nakamichi headunit, they look very OEM, good sound quality too. I've had a Nak for years though their reputation for reliability is a bit patchy.

The Nak' CD400 had / has a bad reputation for CD skipping. Not the best choice of source unit in a bumpy Corrado imo, and the car's acoustics (or lack there of) doesn't lend itself well to such an exalted unit either. Imo, they are better suited to a quieter car with a more compliant chassis.

Seeing as Alpine is the sister company to Nakamichi, that is the brand I would choose personally. They are a lot more reliable and their high end units, such as the super 9835R, sound amazing and look subtle in the dash.

Also worth a look are Pioneer. Their current units with the 4 x 50W Mosfet amps sound very punchy, bright and clear and are very reasonably priced.

They are a lot more reliable and their high end units, such as the super 9835R, sound amazing and look subtle in the dash.

After giving my last 9835 away when I sold a car, I've just bought another! :) Good few years old now but still a cracking HU.

I have had a look but it still looks like it sticks proud of the dash. Have had alpine before and the quality is very good though.

After giving my last 9835 away when I sold a car, I've just bought another! :) Good few years old now but still a cracking HU.

I'm on the look out for another as well! Best

I have had a look but it still looks like it sticks proud of the dash. Have had alpine before and the quality is very good though.

What do you mean by sticking proud of the dash? All stereos do!? I've never seen a stereo that's completely flush with the stereo aperture in the dash?

I have seen one ages ago but not found it again since and can't remember the make. I have been putting it off for ages as I wanted a flat one and I can't find it. I have been looking at a kenwood 4551u. Which has dab as well as USB and iPhone port for £140. Which is not too bad at all. It does not look too modern and does not have lots of silver and silly lights. It's just they bug me sticking out as the dash is quite flat that all. Cheers for all the advice though.

there are a couple of 9835 on ebay Kev, i'm waiting for my pioneer p88 to be delivered that i won on ebay the other day, but dont ask how much i paid for it??

I'm on the look out for another as well! Best

Yeah as Karl says there are a couple of Ebay ... and they do crop up occasionally. Worth saving a search so it will email you when new ones are listed.

Thanks ;) they are my special trousers :lol:

What do you mean by sticking proud of the dash? All stereos do!? I've never seen a stereo that's completely flush with the stereo aperture in the dash?

My Gamma in my Golf sits completely flush but it doesn't have a face-off so can't be removed. I guess any face-off stereo won't sit flush.

there are a couple of 9835 on ebay Kev, i'm waiting for my pioneer p88 to be delivered that i won on ebay the other day, but dont ask how much i paid for it??

You should love the P88. I was lucky enough to get one "free" with my car. It doesn't quite look OEM of course but very happy with the sound quality. I had intended to get a retro looking Alpine with green display but the quality of the P88 is good enough for me to keep it over something more retro looking (it still looks good though, not bling).

£155??

Cheers for the advice guys, I ended up buying a Kenwood 4047UG. Have a look on google image they look smart but simple and in keeping with age of car and it also lights up in green

Edited by Human Joist