Sign in to follow this  
Andy92

sod BHP, what about torque !!

A big valve head and a supersprint 4 to 1 manifold plus the removing the cat boosted the torque nicely.

Compression ratio and gas speed is where your torque comes from...... in basic terms!

I.e The higher the "squish" ratio of the inlet charge and the faster it enters the chambers, the more torque you get.....

..cubic inches help with torque too... the bigger the engine's capacity, the easier it is to pull nice big chunks of torque out of it... ;)

I've upped the compression ratio and the capacity of my engine, as well as gas flowing ALL of the inlet and exhaust tracts to allow the gas (and the occasional bolt it would appear! :roll: ) in and out of the cylinders with as little obstruction as possible.. this gives me oooodles of torque from waaaaayyyy down low right up to redline and makes the car soooooo much fun to drive! :D 8)

what sorta compression ratio you running henny? and should you want to increace the compression of a std ish motor would it be a case of decking the head when fitting a new head gasket by x.xmm or would it be modified pistons etc? :?:

Also interested, as wondering if worth getting done on a standard G60 1.8l block (with 68mm and stg4 s/c).

Beavis mentioned it works well on the G40 (though G40 also had cc increased) in a thread a found.

... trying to think of step approach to final XFlow destination without the missus going mad about cost :(

Henny, What sort of torque are/were you getting out of your lump. Also what was the curve like. you wouldn't have a plot of it would you? :)

What can be done to make the 1.8 16v more tourquey for as little cash.

G

olly elworthy, LJ, I'm running only slightly higher compression than normal... IIRC normal C/R is 8:1 and I'm running 8.5:1, but it's been so long since I've looked at the stats for the engine, I can't remember exactly...

The compression ratio on mine was altered by a combination of a slight skim of the head (very slight) and the change of pistons and crank which also gave the 1940cc capacity...

Just skimming the head will indeed alter the compression ratio, but you need to be damned careful that you don't mess up valve and even sparkplug clearances onto the pistons else the first time you turn it over will be the last... :| The best way IMHO is to go about it as a full rebuild and use different pistons and a re-bore to get the characteristics you want out of your engine... My bottom end was specc'd up by John Mitchell (16VG60) and has proven to be exceptionally strong, and delivers EXACTLY what John promised when I first approached him with the idea of the rebuild... :)

Gman, At the stealth rolling road session I got 198.2 Lb/Ft torque, However, it's since turned out that I was a tooth out on the cam and had a boost leak! :oops: :crazyeyes: All I know is that it's much more torquey now (or at least, it was when it was in one piece... :roll: ) JimsG60 has been out in her both before and after I sorted the timing and boost leak and looked suitably scared by the difference in performance! :lol: 8)

BHP Curve (line!)

Torque curve (take notice what the reading is at the start of the curves ie, just above idle... ;) :lol: )

Making the KR engine more torquey is a tricky one, as 16V engines need to be revved to get the torque and power out of 'em... due to the design, they tend to be a bit lacking of torque low down in the revs... :| Depends on what you want to get out from your modifications as to which ones you do...

loving this thread as again i was more into torque than bhp. I wouldn't mind more bhp but its more the pull between 0 and 80 that gets me going.

I used to love the low down torque of my 6L v12 at low revs it was just sweet.

I wouldn't mind sacraficeing some top end for some low down torque but ive only a 1.8 16v :(

bighairymuppet, Also only have 1.8 16v. I will be looking into it :).

What car was the 6L V12 in?

I love the torque got from the big lumps such as V12 V8 and W12. All very awesome.

was in a old 1986 jag xjs , gunmetal grey cream leather , loved the car but couldn't really work on it myself and fancied something

A: more manageable

B: bit more bang for buck

c: more of a twisty road drivers car.

it didn't corner very well..... ahem...

loved the torque though the car woul move even under light acceleration in neutral.

would have done some mad things with it like performance modding and even a high rate nitrous kit but there was all the reasons above and the fact it cost £68 a tank at 12 -19mpg (on a good day) that was a bit much.

even women liked it , oh well....

love the corrado though, its more fun to drive and you dont feel worried about costs or corners.

just drive and enjoy.

apart from recently...