CazzaVR

City Powder Coaters- Birmingham

Has anyone picked up their wheels yet, and if so, what do they think of the finished product?

I'm picking mine up in the morning.

I'm going on Friday to pick up Andys, gonna love fighting through the traffic on a friday afternoon

I'm going on Friday to pick up Andys, gonna love fighting through the traffic on a friday afternoon

I got roadworks in and out when I went so it's only fair ;)

Well I've picked up my Speedlines, and it's a pretty good job.

Here's my before and after assessment;

Before; The Speedlines were in good used condition when I bought them, with next to no kerbing and some corrosion in a few places, but nothing too deep.

After; Generally good on the exposed face, the bit that we all see. There are two with a very tiny dimpling effect in two places, as per the photos. And on one you can still see the remants of the corrosion through the coating, but this is on the inner surface and will not be seen when the tyre goes on. They do say on their website that they can't make a used wheel look like a new one and it depends on the original condition, so they've been honest.

So overall I'm pleased, and it's well worth the £80. However, if I had a really expensive set of alloys, in really bad condition, then I'd talk to them first to see what they can do, and to establish if they would still only charge the £20 per wheel. Or I'd take them to a different wheel refurber, and obviously pay mega money to have them done. As always, you get what you pay for.

Interesting comment about Prestine sending wheels there then packaging/charging their own prices.

I've had more done by Prestine recently and still don't think they are up to the quality their work was 4/5 years ago. Or maybe my expectations have increased?

Have you anything to back up that statement with? Seen Prestine vans driving in / out to deliver wheels???

GAY lol

:lol:

Gotta say, they're a VERY frustrating company to use. They told me to call them yesterday. I must have tried 30 times before anyone answered. The guy who answered was pretty sound- went and checked the wheels for me etc, then told me to call back at 2pm. Then, after 2pm, I must have tried another 20 times before giving up. Nobody picks up the phone! It would ring a few times then an automated response says 'please try again later'. So frustrating- good job I'm on half term. Have tried them again several times today, but still couldn't get through to let them know the wheels will be picked up on Friday afternoon.

---------- Post added at 2:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:53 PM ----------

Vinny, looks like a good job for the money, but surely that corrosion pitting could/should have been filled and flatted?

I had to call loads of times yesterday before I got through, so I just told them I would be down to collect this morning as I couldn't be bothered to keep calling them.

We'll have to wait and see how long the alloys last. Like I said, you get what you pay for....

did you ever get your wheels back andy? im looking at taking a few sets up there, just wondered about timescales etc.

im struggling to find someone decent in bristol now for less than £150 which is silly to me for coating.

just looked into getting some paint to do my wheels, vw spec wheel paint, thinner, 2K clear coat and hardener come to over 70 quid delivered, so £20 a wheel is a bargain! once you add filler, etch primer and the hours to do it not to mention tyre fitting equipment, I can see why wheel refurbing to a decent standard costs so much.

IMO they need a hard wearing 2K clear coat though, cheap lacquer will discolour or flake in no time.

Baz, yep got them back a while ago. They did a very good job as they were pretty tatty. One had quite a chunk out of the rim. You can still notice where it was, but they did a good job with it. Also got rid of a lot of kerbing 100% which I was a little aprehensive about. One of the wheels has some strange 'roughness' in a couple of places, which could easily be flatted back if I could be bothered. Here's a pic of one:

Ahh.. I do remember seeing these in tour build thread now. How long did they take roughly? Did you pay upfront or on collection?

I was looking at dropping some up in the next few days, but want to check with them how set they are with collection dates. If I have to go on a certain day it may not be practical. I wish there was someone local offering these prices!!

I know, would be great to have someone close. My vRS wheels need some attention.

They're pretty flexible. Mine took around a week, but they were particularly busy. They're usually around 2-4 days AFAIK. Paid on collection.

My VRS wheels need doing but I have no replacement wheels to put on it whilst they get done :| Slight problem!!

My VRS wheels need doing but I have no replacement wheels to put on it whilst they get done :| Slight problem!!

one at a time and drive on the space saver :lol:

I had my MK4 Anniversary wheels done there in chrome powdercoat.

I could pick faults being a painter by trade but you get a very good job for the money.

Did they do the centre caps as well? Any chance you could lash a couple of pics up for us?

I would only use these guys for "cheap" alloys.

If I had an expensive set of alloys I would either take them to a professional wheel refurb place, or I would prep the wheels myslef and just get them to do the powder coating.

Remember, the saying, "you get what you pay for", well in my opinion that is very true in this case.

I would only use these guys for "cheap" alloys.

If I had an expensive set of alloys I would either take them to a professional wheel refurb place, or I would prep the wheels myslef and just get them to do the powder coating.

Remember, the saying, "you get what you pay for", well in my opinion that is very true in this case.

Is this from personal experience mate? Just asking cos although I've read a few bad reviews, most people do seem to be happy with their work. Was just about to send my rims to Pureklas but have since heard he'd apparently only send them to City and whack £200 on the bill. Whether this is fact or not I don't know, just don't know whether it's worth the extra £200...

Jamie, speaking form personal experience. If you go to page 4 of this thread and see my 7 june 2012 10.55am post, there are pictures of my alloys.

The proper process to refurb wheels is as follows; (1) Coarse blast to remove corrosion and brake dust. (2) Old paint then completely stripped chemically or mechanically depending on wheel design. (3) Scuff and dings repaired and welded. (4) Wheels computer lathe turned for smooth finish. (5) Chemical treatment applied to prevent corrosion. (6) Powder coat primer applied. (7) Colour coat applied. (8.) Final lacquer coat applied.

You get what you pay for. A professional wheel refurb place will charge between £250 to £400, and the wheels will look as good as new. That's why I say that you get what you pay for.

Before you use someone, ask them if they do the entire above process themselves, or if they are simply sending them away to be powder coated.

Ok mate cheers for the advice. Was thinking even a 90% job would be better than the brush painted Smoothrite look I'm currently rocking, but think I'll just drop em off at Davs :)

Hi, does anyone know if these guys will deal with wheel couriers, as looking to get my speedies done, but Birmingham's a bit far for me so was wondering about getting them couriered to / from them? (unless anyone knows a decent place that'll do four wheels for less than £150 in the Peterborough area!)

Cheers

Phil

Hi, does anyone know if these guys will deal with wheel couriers, as looking to get my speedies done, but Birmingham's a bit far for me so was wondering about getting them couriered to / from them? (unless anyone knows a decent place that'll do four wheels for less than £150 in the Peterborough area!)

Cheers

Phil

they dont even deal with picking up the phone :lol:

unless i was prepared to drop off and collect in person there's no way i'd use them.