VR6Pete

Replacing Front Sub Frame

Ok, so my front sub-frame is fecked! The bolt that secures the wish bone on the passenger side keeps spinning and resulting in clunking noises and play....

Im told a captive nut has probably snapped, therefore isnt secured properly... looks like some has previously tried to cut it open as it's all mashed and can see visible signes of welding!

Soooooooooo. I think I need a new front sub frame is anyone has one?

My question is what Bolts etc... would I need to replace to do the job...? With any part numbers... will probably get new lower arms too while im at it... can anyone recommend how i can go about doing this ? :)

really frustrated that another persons bodge has left me with what I consider an unsafe sub-frame!

cheers

Pete

Which bolt is it, front or rear of wishbone?

i think the rear one has no thread the bolt goes straight through to the chassis.

I have just bought all new bolts for subframe and associated bits so have all the numbers at home.

Any pics of the bodge?

I have mine off the car at the moment so will have a look how it is inside, i know its open and can gain access to it.

The original subframe does have visible welding etc, so might not be as bad as you think

Hi buddy. I'm pretty sure it has been tampered with as the affected side looks totally different from the other side? I think for the hassle trying repair I'll just replace with a powder coated job...

So what part numbers would I need then for bolts and stuff? Looking to replace lower arms too. And going to assume I need new wishbone bolts too if anyone knows the part numbers? :)

If your lower arms are in good shape, I would just get them powder coated, then pop in some Golf R32 bushes.

Starting from the for most point, quantity is 2x for all the following

N 904 840 03

N 102 096 03

N 102 078 03

N 102 575 01

Matt

Can you put a description against the part numbers please? :) just so I know what I'm ordering... :)

N 904 840 03 1x pink fury dice only joking, front wishbone bush bolt, M12x1.5x82

N 102 096 03 upper sub-frame bolts, M12x1.5x65

N 102 078 03 rear wishbone bush bolt, M12x1.5x78

N 102 575 01 rear most sub-frame bolts, M10x24

if you think you need to replace any other fasteners just circle in red on the attached picture,

Matt

Edited by MattPc

Matt do you. Have the length, pitch and size for all those bolts??

See my thread in suppliers forum

I will measure them up tomorrow when I'm down my workshop.

But bear in mind these are flange head bolts with under head serrations shoulder bolts with a dog nose feature for location, so not the normal fasteners from a supplier, but it is always worth trying to find a second source for fasteners.

Matt

Cheers

Making them bolts rather than set screws isn't a problem.

That will give the shanked section of bolt, the taper dog nose is nice to have but isn't a neccesacity as you say it just makes initial location easier, mainly for use on the assembly line

And again a flange head is possible, but does nothing a good thick wAsher doesn't do

All depends how oe you want to keep it, and then compare that to the difference in price

Cheers buddy. Do you know a ball park figure for how much those bolts will set me back?

Sweet. Many thanks. Does anyone have part numbers for updated r32 bushes and ball park price? Thanks.

Front bush: 357407182 (original)

Rear bush: 8N0487181B (R32)

I'm not sure on today's prices, shouldn't think they would come to more than £60

Great stuff, niceone mate just need find some standard wishbones now so I can send off for powdercoating :)

[ATTACH]64165[/ATTACH]

Look what I just picked up :) can't wait get this and my wishbones fitted!

Also had the last of my brackets powdercoated! :)

Looking good, mine took 5-6 hours just to get the rust and old paint off, using my angle grinder and wire wheel.

I would be tempted to put a thick coat of underseal on the forward facing parts, otherwise it may be stone chip capital.....

Edited by daleyboy

cost me 50 quid for sub-frame be blasted and powder coated, ive had alot of other stuff done at the same place, so at least i know what im getting. just cant wait get it all fitted so i can get the bloody thing through the MOT! fair play spending 6 hours on it! id have given up after 6 minutes :D

I've fount a bag of big bolts but the bag with the part number has rubbed off!

Can anyone tell me if these are sub frame bolts? Also found another bag with 4 big nuts in that appear to have a flange that rotates?

[ATTACH]64281[/ATTACH]

They look to be the fasteners for the front dampers

That sounds good, subframe bolts you wouldn't have nuts with....

On a side note when you do get the correct bolts use a bit of thread lock and torque up when the car is on the deck, i say this because i didnt use threadlock and all the bolts came loose and i lost one of the bolts above the wishbone............ :bonk:

Hi all,

I now have my wishbones and sub-frame all shotblasted and freshly powdercoated...

What I need to know is a list of bolts, clips etc.... I should replace to do the job... essentially, anything I remove I want to replace...

I have the following part numbers so far...

N 904 840 03 1x pink fury dice only joking, front wishbone bush bolt, M12x1.5x82

N 102 096 03 upper sub-frame bolts, M12x1.5x65

N 102 078 03 rear wishbone bush bolt, M12x1.5x78

N 102 575 01 rear most sub-frame bolts, M10x24

Is there anyhing else I really should be replacing to make the job easier?

ARB mount bushes, clamps for the steering rack etc... ? if so, does anyone have the part numbers? I'm hoping that people who have done recent front sub-frame refurbs will know a list of parts off hand :)

Cheers all.

Pete

Just done mine.

I did:

-Steering rack boots and clips

-Steering rack bush (don't know the part number, i had a spare powder coated bracket so put that on, but original could be reused, or i have a spare one)

-I reused the bolts and nuts for rack as they were so oily they hadn't corroded

-Subframe Bolts:

N102 575 01 = M10x24, 2no. required

N102 096 05 = M12x1, 5x65, 2no. required

The other bolt for subframe is also the rear wishbone bolt N102 078 04, 2no required (not sure why its slightly different to your number)

-Front wishbone bolts: N904 840 04, 2no required

-ARB Droplink bolts (on end of ARB, mine snapped on removal): N019 504 3, M8x45, 2no required: N902 264 04, M8, 2no required

-ARB Bushes (inboard on top of subframe): 191 411 314, 2no required

Also did my rear engine and gearbox mount while i was there, used JayRenshaw rear mount kit and a VW gearbox mount: 3A0 199 402

I reused the ARB bush bolts and brackets, soaked them in rust remover and repainted them.

I also used the chance to set the steering rack and track rods to factory lengths (as per the posts on forum somewhere)

I probably forgotten something. Some pics.

Can see the new bolts in the holes here, its also a good time to redo the underseal that you can't get to with subframe on.

2012-07-22123328.jpg

Subframe built up but missing engine mount

2012-06-17163353.jpg

ARB bushes

2012-06-06180324.jpg