Sign in to follow this  
DanA

Help installing an Alpine head unit

Hi, I've just upgraded my mk2 16v to a '95 Corrado VR6 :D Very happy man!

I'm wanting to transfer my Alpine mp3 player over to it. They are a pain to fit as it requires a direct feed from the battery. Is there a fairly easy route to take ? No way am I drilling holes in my new motor, hehe.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dan

you should have a direct current there already,for the stereos memory,get a test lamp and check for a live with the ignition turned off

dazzy is right, there is no need.

If you read the destructions it says a direct feed from the battery or fuse box.

The 12 volt feed that you find behind the dash especially for the radio comes direct from the fuse box, the big thick red wire IIRC.

I checked because I have an Alpine MP3 too. Had it in for 3 or 4 months now with no problems and I have been known to crank it up a bit on the odd occasion!!

don;t know what its like on the corrado but if it is a nice thick wire then fair dos to VW. The decent Alpine HU needs direct feed because of the large current it draws and most manufactures power cables arn't up to it.

Dave, it was a resonably think wire.... i've wired it all into the std plugs and it all seems to be working fine. How much of a pain is it aranging all the wires, plugs etc.. so the HU slids in... took me about 30 mins just to do that!

Dan

It took me a while to get the wires sorted and arranged to get the headunit in. Just bought a brand new kenwood mp3 unit, and found out the thing was a lot longer that my old kenwood I had in there. I had to bend the metal bracket back as much as possible behind the head unit in the dash!

I'll have to keep an eye out for your motor... Had my car for 2 weeks now and not seen a single Corrado whilst driving aound! I've done quite a few miles too :D

Dan