DANG60

Handbrake cables

Got some new handbrake cables for my Corrado 2.0l 16v. When I ordered them I was told there were two types but only one type were still available. When I've checked the old cable against the new one the new one doesn't have the metal tubing that goes through the hole between the inside of the car to the outside. Do I just transfer these over? They seem crimped on to me or maybe I have to buy that part separately?

I'm sure they're the wrong type though.

I've not tackled the job myself yet Dan but I think the metal tube is just a sort of guide tube and you can just re-use the old one, although if it's crimped on I could be wrong.

Maybe ask Paul if the tube is available separately, I'd check ETKA but my laptop is in need of an overhaul!

The tube should be separate from the cable and re-useable. It won't come with the new cables.

I bought the early type by mistake, when I needed the late one's.

They are a different lengths and I think different ends. The early one's just pulled straight through the calliper!

(from Motor factors)

Early cable: 1624mm. To Vin No 50-S-000361 (round end)

Late cable: 1616mm. From Vin No 50-S-000362 (bar end, I hope, hasn't turned up yet)

That tube is still available, MK3 Golf part and costs peanuts - well worth getting!

You can re-use but you may need to heat the old ones up with a welder to get the old cables out.